Addie

Viola d'Amore check in, please?

Addie   

Although I imagine VdA standing on the backs of two alligators, with the reins in one hand and launching thunderbolts with the other during this storm, it would be nice if she could check in.

Any other members in Florida?  

- or maybe shod with violas and surfing the surge... the mind boggles.

Having experienced 2 - 3 momentary unintended flights in a mountain blizzard my thoughts are with everyone under weather threat - cheers edi

3 hours ago, Addie said:

Although I imagine VdA standing on the backs of two alligators, with the reins in one hand and launching thunderbolts with the other during this storm, ...

That's how I imagine her too. ;)

I guess that they are almost without electricity there, so that it can be hard to be online and give a feedback, but I'm hoping all is well, too!

carl1961   
11 hours ago, edi malinaric said:

My ex-climbing partner has just reported in from St Pete's that all is well. Far less exciting than promised/forecast.

cheers edi 

Better to over estimate than under estimate and people get hurt or even killed. 

I was able to get a cell call in Monday morning to West palm beach. Since then the lines have all been clogged up.  Relatives in West Palm came out relatively unscathed.   Nephew's job site, not so much.

ct-miami-crane-collapse-irma-20170910.thumb.jpg.ae9e5ef9313b18c3cf6e1440f264a0c4.jpg

Thanks everyone for the inquiries.  Surviving with style, but had an exciting time.  Seeing 50 foot trees literally bend like reeds is massively impressive.  The !@#$%^&*() hurricane came right across my area.  Was involved with the local shelter, road clearances, etc.  Now it's all up to the power crews.  The people here have been great, no trouble, no looting, lots of cooperation. 

I'm sporadically running off a generator while I wait for the power crews to extract half an oak from my property's lead-in.  Everybody in the eastern part of the "Big Bend" lost power, and I know people even in Tallahassee who are still in the dark (some parts of the state government, of course, always have been, and will presumably remain so :lol:).  Had some falling limbs hit the house, and am dealing with it.  Got some waaay nice magnolia to carve sword sayas and tsukas (sheaths and hilts) from, as soon as it cures.

If anyone else here is the praying sort, please remember all those poor folks in the Caribbean islands who are having a much more harrowing time than we are here.  :)

17 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Thanks everyone for the inquiries.  Surviving with style, but had an exciting time.  Seeing 50 foot trees literally bend like reeds is massively impressive.  The !@#$%^&*() hurricane came right across my area.  Was involved with the local shelter, road clearances, etc.  Now it's all up to the power crews.  The people here have been great, no trouble, no looting, lots of cooperation. 

I'm sporadically running off a generator while I wait for the power crews to extract half an oak from my property's lead-in.  Everybody in the eastern part of the "Big Bend" lost power, and I know people even in Tallahassee who are still in the dark (some parts of the state government, of course, always have been, and will presumably remain so :lol:).  Had some falling limbs hit the house, and am dealing with it.  Got some waaay nice magnolia to carve sword sayas and tsukas (sheaths and hilts) from, as soon as it cures.

If anyone else here is the praying sort, please remember all those poor folks in the Caribbean islands who are having a much more harrowing time than we are here.  :)

Glad to hear that you're OK!!  I echo the concern of those in the Caribbean. They got whacked.

Addie   
2 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Glad to hear that you're OK!!  I echo the concern of those in the Caribbean. They got whacked.

Hopefully not literally whacked.  The reports of gangs of looters with machetes add a grim twist to a dire situation.

Rue   

Glad you are back. ..even if you're a bit battered and bruised! :)

Our utility company has sent about 50 trucks down to Florida to help restore power and there is two other nearby companies sending trucks and men but not sure of the numbers. 

After devastation Florida Irma's power declined to category I. I'm pretty sure this happened after confrontation with VdA. :lol:

Glad that you are OK VdA, and I'm positive that your power will increase to category V after beating Irma. 

19 minutes ago, Stephen Faulk said:

I tried to cut a log off her downed tree, she chased me out with a pitch fork. It was a normal Tues night. 

... did you note the pitch of the fork?

cheers edi

2 hours ago, Stephen Faulk said:

I tried to cut a log off her downed tree, she chased me out with a pitch fork. It was a normal Tues night. 

Knowing difference between her and your affinity for contemporary art, she probably thought that you might use that wood for carving some abstract sculpture. B)

59ba7f9b772e7_magnolia5593_mattmoulthrope.jpg.1ff1785e4e2a9b10c83cf6766bff036c.jpg      Magnolia 5593 (Matt Moulthrop)

Nice to hear from you Stephen.