Addie

Viola d'Amore check in, please?

2 hours ago, Stephen Faulk said:

I tried to cut a log off her downed tree, she chased me out with a pitch fork. It was a normal Tues night. 

1 hour ago, edi malinaric said:

... did you note the pitch of the fork?

cheers edi

So that's who that was.  Glad you made it past the gators, then. :P

I dunno about the fork, but Stephen emitted a D2 with appoggiatura when he saw me coming.  Dropped his jug of shochu, so I didn't follow through with shochi, having something better to do.......... :lol:

Thanks awfully to everyone who's contributing to this deeply appreciated thread.  You folks are marvelous. :)

6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

So that's who that was.  Glad you made it past the gators, then. :P

I dunno about the fork, but Stephen emitted a D2 with appoggiatura when he saw me coming.  Dropped his jug of shochu, so I didn't follow through with shochi, having something better to do.......... :lol:

Thanks awfully to everyone who's contributing to this deeply appreciated thread.  You folks are marvelous. :)

You're pretty marvelous too, despite my often needing to refer to my dictionary (in addition to much more obscure reference sources) to figure out what the heck you're saying. :P

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

All this fuss about a little blustery weather!

Yup003.jpg.ab4077ab57a3e6580acf0df4454eff20.jpg

Yup001.jpg.5b823d666c1f3b901df3c15c7649aea5.jpg

Yup002.jpg.324d8ad9d23b624d63b0108968274807.jpg

Yup.  :P

I picked the photos off the 'net, but they're representative of what you can see all over right now. :wub:

Eee! That's a lot of firewood!

What happens to bashed boats? We don't have boats on the prairies  (well, not enough to count for much at any rate...)

43 minutes ago, Rue said:

Eee! That's a lot of firewood!

What happens to bashed boats? We don't have boats on the prairies  (well, not enough to count for much at any rate...)

Generally, people fix them up and either sell them or sail them.  Multiply sunk and refloated boats can be found at any coastal marina.  I've owned a few.  Following a previous storm, I saw a 70 foot commercial fishing boat that God had neatly placed atop the docks at the Panacea marina.  After a crane was brought in to hoist it off, it was returned to service.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Back on the grid!  :)

Excellent!

Clean up all done?:ph34r:

*runsandhides*

Very glad you are OK and relatively unscathed, V-damore.

Not that anyone who lives in hurricane prone areas doesn't know this already, or should know it,  but I never miss an opportunity to stress not relying on the attic as a last resort.  Especially if there are no windows.  The thing is I don't know what else one can do once they make the mistake of not evacuating, because going outside has its own problems.  

In 1957 my grandmother died in hurricane Audrey which killed over 400 people even though it came ashore in rural areas. Most of my many relatives didn't evacuate because they and their ancestors had been riding out storms for as long as anyone could remember.  But my grandparents DID go to a neighbor's house which was better built and two stories, plus an attic.

As the water rose everyone ended up in the attic and eventually had to chop a hole (not sure if they went through the roof or a wall).  All got out except for my grandmother who was rather large and could not get through the opening.

My grandfather was found 3 days later, still up in a tree.  All his remaining life he bad-mouthed the Red Cross because there he was without anything and when he got to an aid-station they wouldn't even give him a coffee because he had no money.  I don't know what that was all about.  

The one funny thing that came out of this tragedy was that when we finally got down to Louisiana a month later we took my great-grandfather down from Lake Charles to Cameron Parish.  It's about an hour drive. As we got closer we began seeing more and more debris in the fields.  All of a sudden my g.g. barked out, "See! See!  That's why God did this to us!"  He was very agitated and jabbing his gnarled finger at something.  This was all happening in French, and I didn't speak any.  But my mother finally got it sorted out and told me a while later:  My g.g. was pointing at a toilet bowl.  A nice white, gleaming ceramic masterpiece rising from soggy weeds.

It was his belief that God had punished the people so severely because they had given in to the allure of new fangled plumbing and flush toilets instead of the more acceptable outhouse which, after all,  had been plenty good enough for him and most of mankind for ages.  The people–to Grand-pere's way of thinking— were getting too uppity for their own good and God was taking care of business.

5 hours ago, Will L said:

Very glad you are OK and relatively unscathed, V-damore.

Not that anyone who lives in hurricane prone areas doesn't know this already, or should know it,  but I never miss an opportunity to stress not relying on the attic as a last resort.  Especially if there are no windows.  The thing is I don't know what else one can do once they make the mistake of not evacuating, because going outside has its own problems.  

In 1957 my grandmother died in hurricane Audrey which killed over 400 people even though it came ashore in rural areas. Most of my many relatives didn't evacuate because they and their ancestors had been riding out storms for as long as anyone could remember.  But my grandparents DID go to a neighbor's house which was better built and two stories, plus an attic.

As the water rose everyone ended up in the attic and eventually had to chop a hole (not sure if they went through the roof or a wall).  All got out except for my grandmother who was rather large and could not get through the opening.

My grandfather was found 3 days later, still up in a tree.  All his remaining life he bad-mouthed the Red Cross because there he was without anything and went he got to an aid-station they wouldn't even give him a coffee because he had no money.  I don't know what that was all about.  

The one funny thing that came out of this tragedy was that when we finally got down to Louisiana a month later we took my great-grandfather down from Lake Charles to Cameron Parish.  It's about an hour drive. As we got closer we began seeing more and more debris in the fields.  All of a sudden my g.g. barked out, "See! See!  That's why God did this to us!"  He was very agitated and jabbing his gnarled finger at something.  This was all happening in French, and I didn't speak any.  But my mother finally got it sorted out and told me a while later:  My g.g. was pointing at a toilet bowl.  A nice white, gleaming ceramic masterpiece rising from soggy weeds.

It was his belief that God had punished the people so severely because they had given in to the allure of new fangled plumbing and flush toilets instead of the more acceptable outhouse which, after all,  had been plenty good enough for him and most of mankind for ages.  The people–to Grand-pere's way of thinking— were getting too uppity for their own good and God was taking care of business.

Sad...but awesome! story!

Absolutely awesome story, so much so that I forgot it was sad because I was too busy giggling about God hating the vanity and slothfulness people can enjoy with flush toilets (or something). What colorful family members! Will L should write a book.

6 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Violadamore, another one out there Tropical Storm Maria! I hope it fizzes away, but you have to watch the ones with women names:ph34r:.

Just get rid of your toilets, and you'll be safe.  Oh, and don't forget to go climb a tree.  :P;):lol:

Glad you're OK, VdA.  Funny thing is, Addie's image of you riding two gators, was exactly my image of you.  Leave it to a genius to say what we were all thinking..

As far as your pictures - weren't those boats in dry dock? :ph34r: <Runs and hides> :D

The Caribbean's Lesser Antilles was devastated; I have friends on Anguilla - 75% or more of the homes were completely destroyed; 95% major damage (uninhabitable).  Many went to St. Croix.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:03 AM, l33tplaya said:

Glad you're OK, VdA.  Funny thing is, Addie's image of you riding two gators, was exactly my image of you.  Leave it to a genius to say what we were all thinking..

No need for imagination, one paparazzo already recorded that moment...:ph34r:

59bf8fe29a8b0_ridinggators.jpg.b1fcdbe54921665e213e91cbcd2a1aef.jpg

LOL!  

I confess that this image from my childhood (the first one) was probably in the back of my mind when I wrote that.  No offence to VdA...

image.jpeg

LOL again.

Mike V probably doesn't know the image I posted, and I have no clue what he posted.  :lol:

(Addie suddenly feels old... )