• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
violinsRus

Georg Tiefenbrunner violin

I know there have been a lot of falsely labeled Tiefenbrunner's out there, but just wondering if this one could be authentic.  I can't find any Tiefenbrunner pictures to compare it to, but I'm sure there are examples in books somewhere!  :)

The scroll is grafted, and I've added the fingerboard and ebony crown since these photos.  So it's ready for touch-up.  The blocks and rib corners are inside mold Mittenwald, the scroll is about 5mm narrow and rather distinctive!  Remembering that this maker was a zither maker in Munchen, and only ventured into violins later.  The lower bout is two pieces.  The date on the label is hard to read, but I can read that it's 1840's label.  There is an ebony inset in the treble belly edge.  Other belly cracks have been closed up tight.  The back is fabulous IMO. 

Thanks!

-Oops, posted in wrong forum, sorry about that.  And I forgot to have my angel hold it up for close inspection!  :lol: 

IMG_7909.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

IMG_7912.JPG

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

Maybe you're confusing the name with Tieffenbrucker(latinized Dieffobruckar etc.) from Lyon 16th century? There were two Georg Tieffenbrunners in the late 19th/early 20th century in Mittenwald and Munich, both dealing with the usual Mittenwald home workers made violins (Verleger), also Markneukirchen Dutzendware and zithers, not very common to be faked much.

Your violin looks more like saxon made (screwdriver antiqued), while a product of Mittenwald could look like this, label of the Munich's cousin:

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Thanks BF, I think you you are right about the saxon origin, although cornerblockology looks Mittenwald rather than MNK.  Definitely not BOB.

9 hours ago, violinsRus said:

Thanks BF, I think you you are right about the saxon origin, although cornerblockology looks Mittenwald rather than MNK.  Definitely not BOB.

If the cornerblocks are assymetrical, shorter in the middle bots, and the linings are morticed into them, it's not Mnk or Schönbach.

got some pics of the interior, blocks look shorter in middle bouts to me.  These are the lower blocks, the only ones I could capture without standing on my head with this endoscope.  I cannot rightly tell if the center bout linings are mortised in, maybe someone has experience interpreting pics like these.  Tx

Snap_013.jpg

Snap_014.jpg

Snap_015.jpg

Snap_016.jpg

Snap_017.jpg

Snap_018.jpg

Snap_019.jpg

6 hours ago, violinsRus said:

got some pics of the interior, blocks look shorter in middle bouts to me.  These are the lower blocks, the only ones I could capture without standing on my head with this endoscope.  I cannot rightly tell if the center bout linings are mortised in, maybe someone has experience interpreting pics like these.  Tx

Snap_013.jpg

Snap_014.jpg

Snap_015.jpg

Snap_016.jpg

Snap_017.jpg

Snap_018.jpg

Snap_019.jpg

It's not 100% clear by the photos, but it looks like symmatrical blocks, the linings cut, not morticed, ergo not Mittenwald 19th century.