Sign in to follow this  
thirteenthsteph

Violist Marc Sabbah

1 minute ago, WorksAsIntended said:

Its an interesting interpretation, sometimes it gets to fuzzy for me but definitly nice to listen to. 

Honestly, it's probably the first time I've listened to this piece so I don't know about the interpretation... There are other videos as well, perhaps you'll like them more.

Nice! I haven't heard of him before. And I haven't heard the Telemann since working on it in college. 

That instrument sounds nice, too. More of an "alto" viola than a "tenor" viola, but I like it.

I like that sound, and the viola seems quite responsive. I wonder if this maker made a lot of violas or if this was a "one off". Anyone see others?

28 minutes ago, thirteenthsteph said:

It's a nice viola, albeit, as mentioned above,  more alto sounding, not very deep on the low end... (Mentally comparing everything to Grosz's Gasparo. :lol:

A quick google search does not reveal much... 

I'm not impressed with either the playing or the viola. I find both very tiring.

7 minutes ago, carl stross said:

I'm not impressed with either the playing or the viola. I find both very tiring.

I'm the same way with most violists/violas I hear on youtube. This one... was okay to me, not impressed much either, as I said I was more interested in the way he holds it, but thought maybe some people on here would like it. Perhaps the only time I was impressed was with Grosz, and I also like Primrose. Not much else comes to mind.

Any examples you might like? I'm open to suggestions...

6 minutes ago, thirteenthsteph said:

I'm the same way with most violists/violas I hear on youtube. This one... was okay to me, not impressed much either, as I said I was more interested in the way he holds it, but thought maybe some people on here would like it. Perhaps the only time I was impressed was with Grosz, and I also like Primrose. Not much else comes to mind.

Any examples you might like? I'm open to suggestions...

Not trouble free but at least hitting most of the targets : :)

( Roger Hargrave viola )

7 minutes ago, carl stross said:

( Roger Hargrave viola )

Oh, I had forgotten about this one! I remember really wanting to have this viola. :lol: I'd found it looking for videos of his instruments, and it was as expected.

2 hours ago, thirteenthsteph said:

Oh, I had forgotten about this one! I remember really wanting to have this viola. :lol: 

I sympathize... :)  It's a very nice instrument, light years from the "arts and crafts" :) rubbish we're sometimes taunted with here....

I suggest you spend some time studying her playing manner - she gets some things perfectly and she "understands" the instrument. And by the way, did the penny drop with the wrist thing ? ;)

4 minutes ago, carl stross said:

I sympathize... :)  It's a very nice instrument, light years from the "arts and crafts" :) rubbish we're sometimes taunted with here....

I suggest you spend some time studying her playing manner - she gets some things perfectly and she "understands" the instrument. And by the way, did the penny drop with the wrist thing ? ;)

For a bit this rang no bells and I thought perhaps you meant my string crossings problem... So I looked in that thread and sure enough, it's the first time I'm seeing your post there. I don't remember it being there at all and I don't think I missed it... Appeared later? Also, I should probably answer in the proper thread.

Just now, thirteenthsteph said:

For a bit this rang no bells and I thought perhaps you meant my string crossings problem... So I looked in that thread and sure enough, it's the first time I'm seeing your post there. I don't remember it being there at all and I don't think I missed it... Appeared later? Also, I should probably answer in the proper thread.

Don't worry. I'm sure smart chap like you will work it out. You're doing fine. 

3 hours ago, gowan said:

I know that piece as a violin piece by Telemann.  Wonder which is the transcription.

Originally for violin.

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.16.21 PM.png

He wrote 12 Fantasias for Solo Violin and 12 Fantasias for Solo Viol.

2 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

Originally for violin.

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.16.21 PM.png

He wrote 12 Fantasias for Solo Violin and 12 Fantasias for Solo Viol.

Wow, these are usually a pain to read, although nice to look at, but this is beautiful in both respects!

18 minutes ago, scribe said:

I like Marc Sabbah's playing and the viola.  The sound has an edge that I find appealing.

I think it's generally more violin-like, both the sound of the viola, and his playing which contributes to the lighter sound, mostly his bowing. It's a matter of taste, sure...

It sounds great, even though his technique is kind of distracting, both left (how often do you see a violinist / violist who positions his instrument like a beard and looks away from it over his shoulder?) and right (the bow is all over the place and rarely aligned with the bridge).

There are a great many great violists at the moment, too many too mention, but let's start with Tabea Zimmermann for Germany, playing a modern instrument; Antione Tamestit for France, playing one of the few Strads, and Maxim Rysanov for Russia playing a Guadagnini.

On 01/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, carl stross said:

I'm not so sure this violist is that great. Let's just say she's got a long way to go yet, which is only to be expected at her age.

Here is a more interesting piece of music in a slightly better acoustic: