• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
chungviolins

Veritas block plane

Hello

I'm looking for a used Veritas block plane (9 1/2 size) in good condition and good price.

Or possible trade  with several Record planes, I have Record planes in excellent condition.

If you have one, please PM me.

Thank you.

Koo Young Chung

I think you're after a bench plane at 9-1/2", not a block plane.  I believe the Smooth Plane #4 to be more precise.  I do not have one to part with but just to help for those that maybe do.

DGSR :)

I think our OP knows what he's talking about. A 9 1/2 style block plane has the blade bedded at 20 degrees, in contrast to a 60 1/2 which has the blade bedded at 12 degrees. And sorry, but I won't sell mine.

15 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

I think our OP knows what he's talking about. A 9 1/2 style block plane has the blade bedded at 20 degrees, in contrast to a 60 1/2 which has the blade bedded at 12 degrees. And sorry, but I won't sell mine.

Ah...so he's after the Veritas Standard Block Plane then...confusing for me, sorry. I built Veritas tools and know them quite well to say the least.  We'd never refer to the Standard as a 9-1/2 rather used their given names.

DGSR☺

They are not overly expensive brand new.  I would say both these and the Lie-Nielsen are a bargain given the quality.  You won't ever have to buy another unless you want one.

DLB

SFTong   

The verita black block plane is great! I have both standard and low angle. I like to use the standard plane with a low angle round cap. The low angle one can add handle to become a bench plane.

Edited by SFTong

On 8/31/2017 at 0:51 PM, chungviolins said:

Hello

I'm looking for a used Veritas block plane (9 1/2 size) in good condition and good price.

Or possible trade  with several Record planes, I have Record planes in excellent condition.

If you have one, please PM me.

Thank you.

Koo Young Chung

If you didn't see it, there is one here on the Luthiers Exchange for sale...

DGSR:)

DGSR, thank you for the link.

I'm looking for the Veritas block plane to modify the mechanism.

Veritas block plane is well made but blade mechanism is of bad design. There are two different pitched screw in the mechanism.

I think it will improve the mechanism by reversing the handness of one screw part.

Any mechanism of direct linear movement is not good, it's very hard to adjust small amount, usually you have to move back and forth until you get it right.

Lee Nielsen mechanism is no better, basically same design as Veritas.

Record block plane (now defunct) has a better adjustment mechanism, it utilize a lever system making possible for fine adjustment.

This lever reduces the movement of the blade 1/4 of the screw movement, but still lot of plays. You have to move the screw more than once to set it up correctly.

I've been using my own modification of the Record plane, I use the teeth mechanism but not using the screw.

I can adjust by hitting the blade with a small brass hammer for advancing and retracting, it virtually eliminates any play and adjusting takes mere seconds.

Koo Young

Veritas does sell a retrofit adjusting screw that slows the blade feed down. But I personally think the standard mechanism works pretty well. I can easily adjust to fractions of .001". What more do you need?