Maestronet Forums

An Antique Violin for Review

bbitt

3 hours ago, deans said:

I've seen several just like this. Late 19th Saxon/Czech I presume (maybe not). Usually have a fake Panormo or Lupot label, or maybe Vuillaume. Should have a decent sound.

What makes you think it sounds decent? 

Not that I want to state the oposite, I just dont see much that I would expect decent more than I would expect it to be less than decent. 

I agree on Saxony, btw. 

Late 19th. C Saxon violins with Grand-Prix edgework, normally with some sort of „Klotz“ label, are not uncommon, however they generally have the „Grand-Prix“ bit right on the edge, not 3ish mm in from the edge like here. The OP violin, in my view is probably earlier, pre-mass production, and I wouldn’t be supprised to see the makers autograph in pencil on the inside of the belly, something like „Heberlein, 1845“ or one of his many relatives

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

@jacobsaunders

When did the geared tuners come into fashion? Wouldn't that say something about the OP's violin's age?

I suppose they could could have been added later, but they look like original equipment on that fiddle.

It is entirely impossible to claim if the mechanical tuning pegs are original or not. Just as I would not appraise a violin drawing conclusions about why some dope has fitted plastic Wittner tuning pegs

17 hours ago, WorksAsIntended said:

What makes you think it sounds decent? 

Because the ones I've had were pretty good sounding, relatively speaking, and were nearly identical to this one. Its a decent model with reasonable arching and thickness and pretty good wood. It needs some work of course, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a pleasant sounding instrument.

Maybe I've got it completely wrong, but I was always under the impressions that these sort of MOP inlaid violins were from Mirecourt, while the wooden edged "Schnurrand" type was the saxon counterpart. In the photos here I can't find anything excluding this assumption.

I remember that Viaduct violins once had a french fractional in this style at their website, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:21 AM, jacobsaunders said:

It is entirely impossible to claim if the mechanical tuning pegs are original or not. Just as I would not appraise a violin drawing conclusions about why some dope has fitted plastic Wittner tuning pegs

Your right.  I'm a dope and I like Wittner tuning pegs.  Some player dopes like them too.

14 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

There is a lot of controversy out there over the use of the newer mechanical tuning pegs. While I tend to be a traditionalist and Luddite I am still drawn to this new idea as my hands stiffen with age.

They make tuning a plain gut D awfully nice and easy. They also bring tuning (and keeping tuned) a lute into the realm of feasibility.

1 hour ago, WorksAsIntended said:

The founder of Arcus, Mr Müsing, made a very light weight version of mechanical tuning pegs, if I remember correctly with Radke violins. I tried one of those out of couriosity and it was a very different but well working tuning. But boy, it looked UGLY on that nice violins. 

That's interesting - must be aluminium or carbon. Still a lot heavier than small ebony pegs I guess?

1 hour ago, victordriver said:

If he was going to mess around with the scroll I guess that he could integrate the machine heads. Anyway...your not buying one and neither am I !!  

Thats right. I have to add though that Oliver Radke makes fine sounding and well responsive violins (looks are not really what impressed me). I played a 4 violins made by him and they were consistently good. Just to clearify its not against him.