Sign in to follow this  
Terry Colley

Visiting Cremona

I have the good fortune to have my first visit to Italy in a couple of weeks, also managed to talk the good lady wife into a visit to Cremona inbetween Florence and Milan . Apart from the violin museum what else should be on the to do list? Hoping there will be a couple of bits to buy when there.

1 minute ago, Terry Colley said:

I have the good fortune to have my first visit to Italy in a couple of weeks, also managed to talk the good lady wife into a visit to Cremona inbetween Florence and Milan . Apart from the violin museum what else should be on the to do list? Hoping there will be a couple of bits to buy when there.

Try to meet with @Davide Sora obviously, if I was anywhere in the country he would get a free diner at his favorite restaurant from me and a personal "thank you very much"!.

Sitting in the square and having gelato!

If your traveling by train be careful to pay attention to ALL the train schedules you might have to ride to get back to your next destination. My wife and I had an awesome time visiting there but messed up when we made it back to Milan to see the Duomo at sun set but then missed the only train headed back to the tiny town north of Milan we were staying at. A grand adventure ensued that night and the good people of Italy helped us out! Silly us. Have a great time!

For the gelato I would suggest the gelateria "Emilia" in piazza roma. They make the best Ice-cream of Cremona and they are open until midnight so it's the perfect place to go when. in the middle of carving the top. you want to get some ice cream.

On wednesday and saturday morning there is the market in piazza duomo where you can get great stuff like parmesan chees and salami.

There is the museo civico displaying some pretty nice paintings and stuff. Definetly worth it!

The duomo is very nice. if you catch a day of good weather you should go on top of the torrazzo. In the time of Stradivari it was the highest building of the world. On good days you can over look the hole pianura from the Alps to the Appennini.

Maybe when you get there the violin-making school is open and you can habe a look inside.

Near to it there is Sant Augustino a pretty nice church. Especially on hot summer-days its a good place to cool off.

Even more amazing is San Sigismondo near to the hospital at the outeredge of the city. It has frescos all-over made by the Campi.

And if you don't want to se no museum or church you can just stroll along the Corso Garibaldi or sit in on the steps of the duomo and look on the piazza.

In the evening its pretty nice to go to the Fico which is a bar with a beautiful backyard for a little aperitivo. When you go there around 7 or 8 pm ordering a drink they'll bring you a plate with some food.

Hope this helps. Please excuse my bad writing skills.

The Stradivari house is worth seeing.  It's best to have an appointment with any luthiers you want to see because they have different opening hours.. In the museum you can hear a short recital on one of the instruments most days if you get there at the right time.

And I agree about checking the train schedules!  We also missed the train out because it left on a different track - announcements are all in Italian and most people don't speak English.

But its a charming place and well worth a visit.

Ed

17 hours ago, Terry Colley said:

I could not do better, all the advice that has been given so far is excellent (apart from offering me a dinner, which is not at all necessary.....:rolleyes:).

Of course if you want to visit me I will be happy to welcome you, except next week that I'll be out of Cremona  for a short holiday, I will be back in September

I would like to emphasize that you pay attention to the timetables of the trains, because thanks to a wicked policy of the state railways which has privileged high-speed connections completely neglecting local lines and connections with small cities, has threw Cremona into the Third World of railways.:angry:

On 8/25/2017 at 8:24 AM, Dwight Brown said:

I am soooo printing this thread out.  Please carry on!

DLB

Absolutely agree. More tips please for my bucket list. Are there other violin centric cities or places in Italy to visit where there are still museums, historical sites, workshops, in addition to Cremona? (Besides Mr Sora's - We should all take him out for dinner. :-) )

2 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Absolutely agree. More tips please for my bucket list. Are there other violin centric cities or places in Italy to visit where there are still museums, historical sites, workshops, in addition to Cremona? (Besides Mr Sora's - We should all take him out for dinner. :-) )

There are:

Castello Sforzesco in Milan with a collection of musical Instruments. There is a beautiful and strange Grancino Viola. 

In Venice in some church I don't remember the name of, is a nice collection of stringed instruments with a violin by Giorgio Serafino in it's original baroque state.

In Florence in the museum where the David by Michelangelo is displayed you can see some of the instruments of the Stradivari Quintett made for the Medici.

And in the Santa Cecilia Academy there is a long-pattern violin by Stradivari.

Those are the places I know so far...

1 hour ago, Barnes Ziegler said:

And in the Santa Cecilia Academy there is a long-pattern violin by Stradivari.

The Stradivari in the Santa Cecilia Academy in Rome is not a long pattern and is dated 1690. It is likely one of the two violins originally in the Medici Quintet in Florence of the same date (both original violins from the quintet are missing).

15 hours ago, Barnes Ziegler said:

Castello Sforzesco in Milan with a collection of musical Instruments.

When I went there (a few years ago) I was horrified at the state of the instruments on display and the general 'don't care' look of the display cabinets (dead flies, copious dust, faded cloth).

Hope things have spruced up since then.

15 hours ago, Michael K. said:

I allways love my stay there. Endless possibility´s for Photographers.

18738879_1774519112564982_7814521703788783358_o.jpg

HDR picture , isn't it .

Nice one !