Sign in to follow this  
carl1961

How Messy can Your Shop get?

I know no Excuse! but only about had a day a week lately with work at the Real job taking my time. so no more work until you clean your shop!! I tried to hire my grandson as a apprentice but he turn it down :(...

20170807_201720_r.jpg

Once you get it it tidy...spending 5 minutes at the end of each day will keep it tidy...

Just sayin' :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Once you get it it tidy...spending 5 minutes at the end of each day will keep it tidy...

Just sayin' :ph34r:

It can be even faster.  Try hinging your bench at one end, next to a large storage tub............  :ph34r::lol:

24 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

It can be even be faster.  Try hinging your bench at one end, next to a large storage tub............  :ph34r::lol:

now that would be faster and everything in one place!

entropy
ˈɛntrəpi/
noun
noun: entropy; plural noun: entropies; symbol: S
  1. 1.
    Physics
    a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
    "the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy always increases with time"

I am a very law abiding person.
    Tim

1 hour ago, Michael Jennings said:

A place for everything and everything in it's place..... 

Actually looking forward to as much time as I want with wood shavings....

Wish you the Best on your retirement , did you ever make your violin yet?

5 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Wish you the Best on your retirement , did you ever make your violin yet?

I have an OM guitar project to finish first....... Then on to the violin....

I have some less than stellar maple and red spruce wedges that will be put to use as "practice" plates to carve first.... may or may not make it to a finished instruments.

17 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

My shop is almost always in a state of horrendous disorganization. OP's shop is spic and span in comparison. 

I completely agree and it seems every time I start a new project I say to myself, "not this time! This time I keep it clean and organized", and then when I finish - I look around and back out slowly putting down the gasoline and matches...

3 hours ago, MANFIO said:

Well, I made this film some months ago, it may be worse by now.

Well...Luis may have to spend 10 minutes...^_^

You could have eaten off the floor of the shop I was trained in. Wasn't any big deal, every tool and supply had its specific place and went back there when it was done being used. Quick sweep at the end of the day and you're good to go. All of the high end shops I've visited seem to follow a similar protocol, and I certainly strive for that in my own space. Not nocking anybody who has a messy space, I just don't understand how you could get any work done like that. 

They say it can foster creativity. But I'm not sure if that's exactly a real thing or not. The shop I trained in was much the same. Tidy and neat, and it did teach me a thing or two about basic organization. 

I think it depends on whether it's a shared work space.  I'm the only one that goes in my shop.  Why put up my work and tools that I'm still using?  That's just production time lost.  I do clean up when tools and stuff are no longer being used or I need the bench space.

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

I think it depends on whether it's a shared work space.  I'm the only one that goes in my shop.  Why put up my work and tools that I'm still using?  That's just production time lost.  I do clean up when tools and stuff are no longer being used or I need the bench space.

I put up tools that could be damaged (or damage something else) if something hit or laid on top of them, like chisels and gouges, saws, etc. 

Here are a few pics of my shop. The boxes in the corner are a ductless mini split heat pump that I've since installed... it drove me nuts to have it sitting there taking up space as long as it did. 

Some of my friends make fun of me for being OCD/anal retentive about being neat, but it's just my personality.  I like to keep things tidy, it helps me concentrate on whatever I'm working on. If there are too many shavings on the floor I start to get anxious about the mess and stop concentrating on what I'm doing... which reminds me, I saw some shavings and sawdust under the edge of one of the cabinets tonight that I need to clean up before I start working tomorrow. 

Lol, it's silly, but in many ways it is my reality. It gets in the way of being very productive from time to time... but hey, this is a hobby for me, so I figure I need to keep myself happy for the few hours I get in the shop, otherwise I really won't be productive at all. 

There is a link to an iCloud album on my profile that shows the ever changing state of my shop. Feel free to take a look and make recommendations on how I could improve it... making the shop better is a VERY close second favorite hobby of mine :)

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Luv it! I find it relaxing. And personally,  I am more creative and motivated when I am relaxed.