Everclear alcohol

I've tried to cut down on my drinking when I'm making violas so now I add Everclear to my homemade red wines, which have an alcohol level of 12%, to increase their alcohol to a Port like level of about 20%.

Now I don't have to drink as much to make my violas sound good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

Just don't do a shot of it straight.  When I was in college for the first time many, many years ago, I was coaxed into doing a shot of Everclear, something no one at my fraternity had ever accomplished.  I did the shot but later found out my throat could have closed and I could have died from doing it.  As for spirit varnish, it works great.  A little more expensive than denatured alcohol but worth the price.

It can also permanently damage the tissue in your throat.

"Whiskey rasp" is the result of throat tissue damage. Generally, it's not a good idea to drink anything stronger than 50% straight.  Stronger stuff should always be diluted with mix.

Even following with a chaser isn't that good because it just takes a second or so to do the damage, while you're still reaching for the chaser.

Besides, that's no way to enjoy a drink.

54% is typical for home made distillates here in Slovakia, tough these days the distillation is left to specialized companies that also colelct taxes but many still do it at home. Especially from plum (slivovica) or other fruit. If you ever visit someone who brews that you will be certainly served with a shot r two. 

5 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

"Whiskey rasp" is the result of throat tissue damage. Generally, it's not a good idea to drink anything stronger than 50% straight.  Stronger stuff should always be diluted with mix.

Even following with a chaser isn't that good because it just takes a second or so to do the damage, while you're still reaching for the chaser.

Besides, that's no way to enjoy a drink.

This is often compounded by the practice of chilling ethanol which freezes at -113C. 

Regarding Everclear, there are at least 3 versions for sale depending on state law in the US. 120 proof, 151 proof and 190 proof. 190 is what you want and their not quite accurate tool can allow you to find one sorta near you https://makeityourown.com/find-us/

4 hours ago, Carl Johnson said:

This is often compounded by the practice of chilling ethanol which freezes at -113C. 

Regarding Everclear, there are at least 3 versions for sale depending on state law in the US. 120 proof, 151 proof and 190 proof. 190 is what you want and their not quite accurate tool can allow you to find one sorta near you https://makeityourown.com/find-us/

I'm not sure about the availability in the U.S, but there is also a product from Poland called Spiritus, which is 96% if I recall correctly.

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to make potable (drinkable) alcohol by distilling unless you have a license, even for personal use. 

Potable alcohol by fermentation is legal without a license, but that limits alcohol content to 18% at best.

A liter of 190 proof ethyl alcohol makes a lot of spirit varnish. The price of it does not seem to be an issue to me, unless you are running a production line for double basses. ;-}

3 hours ago, ctanzio said:

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to make potable (drinkable) alcohol by distilling unless you have a license, even for personal use. 

Potable alcohol by fermentation is legal without a license, but that limits alcohol content to 18% at best.

A liter of 190 proof ethyl alcohol makes a lot of spirit varnish. The price of it does not seem to be an issue to me, unless you are running a production line for double basses. ;-}

A little in the jar, a little in the glass...

There are other purposes too. It's handy for removing sharpie pen ink.

I make a tincture of alcohol and propolis which is an excellent anti bacterial / antibiotic for applying to flesh wounds. It can be drank too, for throat and stomach maladies. I also use it for fuel in my alcohol lamp for rehairing.

33 minutes ago, violguy said:

Everclear is available in Traverse City Michigan. I have a bottle of it right now in my shop.

Is that the 60%, 75.5%, 94.5%, or 95% alcohol version?  I was unaware that the two highest concentrations were legal to sell in Michigan.

21 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

There are other purposes too. It's handy for removing sharpie pen ink.

I use the denatured version to start my fire pit ever since that unfortunate incident with the gasoline. Still get that lovely "wooooosh" when the match is dropped into the pit,  but none of that nasty "baaaaam" that blew off my eyebrows.

I save a bit of the Everclear for sipping by the fire. A little simple syrup, a little kahlua, and a dash of triple-sec provides an adequate delivery system.

9 hours ago, ctanzio said:

Don't know. Never been sober enough enough to varnish  after mixing one of these drinks.

This reminds me...
I was hanging around after the awards ceremony of an early VSA competition and a winner was asked about their varnishing technique while applying what was acknowledged as a "spirit varnish".  The maker said something akin to:  "I just get drunk and go for it".