PhilipKT

Thomassin cello bow value

I hate to ask such a mundane question.

I'm going to visit a retired symphony violist whose late husband was a cellist and left a plethora of great bows, including a Thomassin. I do not recall whether it is a Claude or Louis, but I do recall that it was in unmodified original condition with very little wear, delicate but strong and quite beautiful. She lent me a Dupuy bow at one time,  and I liked it very much and would be happy to have it, but at this time I have the possibility of affording a more expensive bow, so I'm interested in one of her others.

she's not sure what the price should be, nor am I. She's not going to sell until she finds out exactly what it's worth, but I'm posting the question here to ask if anyone can suggest a ballpark range?

I'm visiting her on Wednesday, and at that time if she will allow me, I will take photographs. It really is a beautiful bow.

Have it directly inspected, weighed and appraised for a conservative but realistic market value by someone knowledgable that you both trust.  This is really not the place to create values that will be fair to both parties.

Yes that's valid,  and we do have a local source that we both trust, but I was asking for just a ballpark range, knowing that the specific bow might fall outside that range. 

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes that's valid,  and we do have a local source that we both trust, but I was asking for just a ballpark range, knowing that the specific bow might fall outside that range. 

I personally avoid ballparks unless I'm wearing a hat, glove and cleats... especially if it has bearing on someone else's property.  If the appraiser knows what they are doing, they should be able to produce comparative sales to support the fair market value they determine.  It's not smoke and mirrors.  Authenticity, weight, condition and example are the factors compared and weighed against previous sales.