fotosled

Swiss Bow Advice

fotosled   

Looking for your advice. I've purchased one bow online not successfully recently and I need to send it back. This time I wanted to ask your opinion and only afterward proceed with the purchase. Can you tell please if it seems to be a good bow or not and what can be the approximate value of it if possible? Does it seem like it needs to be only rehaired? 

Thank you

s-l1600 (23).jpg

s-l1600 (22).jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

s-l1600 (20).jpg

s-l1600 (19).jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

s-l1600 (16).jpg

Werner Ernst is a brand stamp used by the Finkel shop in Brienz for their less expensive nickel mounted bows.  Looks like the head plate could use replacement (cracked at the audience side of the mortise).

You seem more interested in the value of the bows you buy  than anything else.

No-one can tell you if its a good playing bow or not from photos on a forum ,if you `re  more concerned with value then you will find it very hard to ever find a bow.

There is no way to tell the condition from photographs, it is often damn hard to tell with the bow in front of you.  If you have these questions regarding whether this is a good bow or not, you should not be buying online.

I think you’ll find that Werner Ernst was an actual person who worked in the „Schweizerische Bogenbau AG“ in Schwanden bei Brienz in Switzerland, rather than just a stamp. I certainly have a nice silver mounted viola bow of his.  Other people worked there over the years, like RudI Neudörfer (Neuveville is a play on his name) or Hans Karl Schmidt. When I visited when I lived in Brienz at the end of the 70‘s, there were 5 or  6 people working there. I’m sure they will be happy to sell anybody a bow, rather than you risking the usual highwaymen on-line. You can contact them here:

https://www.finkel-bows.ch/

45 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I think you’ll find that Werner Ernst was an actual person who worked in the „Schweizerische Bogenbau AG“ in Schwanden bei Brienz in Switzerland, rather than just a stamp. I certainly have a nice silver mounted viola bow of his.  Other people worked there over the years, like RudI Neudörfer (Neuveville is a play on his name) or Hans Karl Schmidt. When I visited when I lived in Brienz at the end of the 70‘s, there were 5 or  6 people working there. I’m sure they will be happy to sell anybody a bow, rather than you risking the usual highwaymen on-line. You can contact them here:

https://www.finkel-bows.ch/

Yes.  I believe I met Werner during a visit there in the early '90s, and we had Marcus Fischer for a year in Ann Arbor later on (in the firm I was with).  Almost all the stamps Finkel used when we imported his bows were actual people, but did indicate various qualities (production grades).  Some were taken further with automation than others.  Now I believe he uses a "Finkel Atelier" brand for less expensive bows.  

I also have seen nice silver mounted bows bearing Werner Ernst's brand. 

I believe Werner is retired, but I think his son Daniel now works in the Atelier.  Finkel also started producing Hybrid (carbon fiber/pernambuco) bows in the late '90s/early 2000s.

https://www.finkel-bows.ch

The Finkel compound is a lovely place.