I believe they are called fret saw blades. I have a variety of sizes depending on what I might be cutting. Sizes I use are 2/0 to 4/0 finer tooth for metal. The last time I bought some I got them from McMaster Carr. I use a deep throated fret saw. 

I use a very cheap fretsaw, which I have since I was 12 or 13 years old, I'm too fond of it to buy a new one, also because it works just fine. 

I use Eberle fret saw blades n. 0  bought in the eighties, anyway those with the finest teeth you can find.

A blade of these lasts me many years before breaking, but I think this depends more on the cutting technique than on the blade;)

599078090c98c_DSC_8405rid.jpg.b0bcaa46e296ca5f772d2be97bf63774.jpg

lpr5184   

Another option is the Knew Concepts saw. I own one and I'll say it is worth the extra money because of the feautures  over a regular coping or jewlers saw.

4 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

Another option is the Knew Concepts saw. I own one and I'll say it is worth the extra money because of the feautures  over a regular coping or jewlers saw.

I do not want to be a detractor against the use of technically advanced tools, this is a great tool if you are willing to pay for it and will maybe be useful in many other situations.

But for f-holes cutting or aluminium template cutting something more simple and economical is already enough.

I'm with Davide on this. I don't see what the Knew Concept saw does any different than a regular coping saw. You still have to saw the f hole out. It's not that difficult.

11 minutes ago, Berl Mendenhall said:

I'm with Davide on this. I don't see what the Knew Concept saw does any different than a regular coping saw. You still have to saw the f hole out. It's not that difficult.

I remember posting a question awhile back asking about the Knew Concept saw.  I kinda felt like I was lambasted.  I should have been more specific in my question.  If you are looking for something to cut f holes, then the Knew Concept is totally overkill.  If you are cutting out an intricate inlay out of Mother of Pearl (something I have occasionally done) I think the KC saw would save your wrist and arm a lot of wear and tear.  I also use no. 0 blades.  If I remember right, the last time I bought them was from Jantz knife makers supply.

lpr5184   

Watch the video and you will then you will see the differences...;) don't knock something you if you have never tried it.. :) I've tried both coping and jewelers and the NC saw beats them hands down. That said whatever works for you is the best choice. Like I stated it is just another option I thought I would mention. I love this saw. 

FWIW- I didn't buy the fancy handle...(only because it wasn't available in cocobolo.)  :P

lpr5184   
10 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

I remember posting a question awhile back asking about the Knew Concept saw.  I kinda felt like I was lambasted.  I should have been more specific in my question.  If you are looking for something to cut f holes, then the Knew Concept is totally overkill. 

Overkill? Have you tried the saw? When is anything in building overkill?

Answer: When you can't afford them.

So are the Herdim closing clamps also overkill compared to spools clamps?

Answer: No....

Why?...It is a technically advanced tool...:huh:

The Knew Concepts saws allow the user to rotate the blade clamps. This can be very helpful for clearance issues, and is a common feature on coarse bladed coping saws, but is uncommon on fret saws. I don't have a Knew Concepts saw, but that feature makes me wish I did.

Of course the Knew Concepts saws have a maximum throat depth of 8", which might make that rotating blade feature necessary where a 12" saw wouldn't need it.

2 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

The Knew Concepts saws allow the user to rotate the blade clamps. This can be very helpful for clearance issues, and is a common feature on coarse bladed coping saws, but is uncommon on fret saws. I don't have a Knew Concepts saw, but that feature makes me wish I did.

I can rotate the blade on my $5 Lowe's fret saw. 

8 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Because one can afford something doesn't mean they always should. Each of us puts different priorities on what we use and what we do, I don't see anyone attacking your choice or calling it bad, I see people saying it is not for them. I think it is an impressive saw. I don't think I will buy one, if given one I probably would use it over my jewelers saw.

9 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

why do I feel like my posts aren't completely read?  I am a fan of the saw. 

9 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Nick, is yours a fret saw, or a coping saw? They're different tools for different applications.

I think you might be right in that's it's actually a coping saw. Still gets the job done! Just have to be more careful!

lpr5184   
21 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Watch the video and you will then you will see the differences...;) don't knock something you if you have never tried it.. :) I've tried both coping and jewelers and the NC saw beats them hands down. That said whatever works for you is the best choice. Like I stated it is just another option I thought I would mention.

Regardless of money, whatever works for you IS the best choice. Options are a good thing.

Berl is right sawing fholes is not difficult. I have even cut them out with just a drill bit and an exacto knife.

lpr5184   
4 hours ago, Frank Nichols said:

, I don't see anyone attacking your choice or calling it bad, I see people saying it is not for them. I think it is an impressive saw. I don't think I will buy one, if given one I probably would use it over my jewelers saw.

I don't feel like that either and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Sorry for the confusion.