Frank Nichols

Varnish book, recommend or not?

Violin varnish and how to make it by Georges Foucher

The eBook is only $0.99 - so the cost doesn't matter, my question is, is it a waste of time to get and read?

carl1961   
39 minutes ago, Frank Nichols said:

Violin varnish and how to make it by Georges Foucher

The eBook is only $0.99 - so the cost doesn't matter, my question is, is it a waste of time to get and read?

you can get the Georges Foucher free online https://archive.org/details/violinvarnishhow00foucuoft    most the ebay violin stuff on ebooks  or pdf or public domain on this site. just search violin varnish    https://archive.org/search.php?query=violin varnish&sin=TXT

Okay, thank you, but the question still remains. My problem at this point is I have about 50 years worth of learning/reading/doing to get done in the next couple years, so I am trying to focus on things that are not a waste of what time I have left :)

Is this work something that would be useful to me when I get to varnishing, or is it just historic information that is mainly context and generally not considered useful to follow today? 

For example, I bought and studied Strobel's Violin making book, only to find out later that it is not highly regarded (to put it nicely)...

FredN   

The information is  a good survey of varnishes and material, a little questionable  using hard copal, not easy.  Unless I missed it, the most likely use of rosin as the resin is not mentioned.