violinsRus

Autodidact viola

Is this just a wall-hanger or what?  This large viola is labelled:

Supplied by

W. THOMSON

33 Homefield Road, Wembley

It's difficult to keep a chinrest on as the edge arches up immediately, you can see that in the side view.  The neck is a through neck.  I'm not convinced it was made by Mr. Thomson, but certainly he put in the label, and perhaps repaired and/or varnished it.  I know the history for some decades back, and it came over from England to the US in the 1960's.  Anyone seen anything like it or want to venture any opinions?  :)

IMG_7877.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

IMG_7880.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

carl1961   

Unique look, Nice flame, is that a small viola? but what is the sound like. to me the tone would determine to make it a wall hanger. it looks to me to be punished to be on a wall. a modern style chin rest might help to stay on better.  but the weight of the chin rest might need to be adjusted ( removing wood from where you don't see from under side) to not affect the tone

modern style chin rest.jpg

Carl, as a matter of fact it is small, 15-1/2"!  I could try this type of chinrest, but I know several styles have been tried without success.

Imagine that!  Our company imports SPAX screws directly, so I have the full choice of sizes at my disposal.  :D  However I don't plan to jam a screw into this baby yet, I'd glue a rest on before stooping to that.

If the archings are so high you cant get a chin rest on - just play it without! Adjust your shoulder rest up a bit and you'll be fine :) 

I like the wood and color of the varnish. The only thing that throws me off is the scroll having virtually no fluting on the sides.