Sign in to follow this  
El Duce

Old Bow - ID - assumed German

Hi I am a new joiner to Maestronet and was wondering about this bow. From reading earlier discussions here I am assuming it to be German as there are no pins in the button and the stick/frog are marked //// - out of curiosity is that always the case or can you find French bows marked with lines or other such markers? Assuming this bow to be German is it possibly from a better maker?

P1030289.JPG

P1030290.JPG

P1030291.JPG

P1030292.JPG

P1030294.JPG

Edited by El Duce
typo

I don't know who made it but looks nice to my eyes.  Can't tell for sure, but are there some letters on the underside at the end where "Germany" or such is often stamped?

I wonder if the broad shallow camphering and protruding tongue might give a clue as to what school or workshop it came from.

5 hours ago, El Duce said:

are marked //// - out of curiosity is that always the case or can you find French bows marked with lines or other such markers?

It is more common in German bows but  is still often seen in some French makers work ,particular the bigger workshops.

That said, here`s a Pierre Simon bow.....

simon.jpg

The head on your bow is spoiled by that long nose. Is it all the actual head  or has someone lengthened it by adding extra ebony to the tip plate?

Thank you for your responses. No sign of any stamp whatsoever just those marks which appear under where the lapping would go and the nose seems to be that way but I have added some more photos for figuring it out and tried to capture the inside of the mortice. The 2 pins are faint in the top of the frog and I can see one at the bottom of the frog but not on the backplate.

P1030295.JPG

P1030296.JPG

P1030297.JPG

P1030298.JPG

P1030299.JPG

P1030300.JPG

P1030302.JPG

What I can see of the stick wood bears some resemblance to wood that I see in some Japanese bows, and the roughly-cut upturn at the beak of the head would not be out-of-place on a Japanese bow.  But the frog and button do not look particularly Japanese to me.  So I'm not sure.

Thanks I've been pretty tough with the lighting to show it as its worst so in reality the tip does look as hacked as it does in the photos - could those marks be caused by knocks/bashes instead as they seem out of keeping with the rest of the head, mortice etc? It is quite a long tip to the bow protruding about 6/7mm from the head so would that point to any particular maker German or otherwise? With French bows is the frog backplate always pinned? The ferrule seems pretty flat to the frog and wide with tips that are only marginally angled. The stick octagonal has the bottom face wider than the faces adjoining either side which are each about 50% of the bottom width. The groove in the button seems wide but not deeply scooped out but no pins in the button. If that throws any makers or factories in the frame I'd be interested before I dismiss it as an anonymous German factory bow. Thanks again for all the great input.

Edited by El Duce

Looking at the bow further it has definitely been bashed as opposed to any intervention as the other side seems fine. Any clues - French or German/possible maker? Seems an unusual point so it seems out of place for a factory produced bow as why go to the additional effort?

P1030305.JPG

P1030306.JPG

P1030304.JPG