Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Homemade Thickness Gauge

Continuing on the trend of making highly specialized luthier tools with whatever I have lying around, I made a thickness gauge!  :D

It's a piece of oak, cut in the shape of a lyre because I wanted it to be more than just a plain  [  bracket shape (and the whole thing with Apollo's lyre and god of music and all that, it's symbolic as well as practical), with a cheap but accurate digital caliper I had, some brass screws, rubber band, and a couple of burnt LEDs for the tips! ;)

I considered putting a little lever on it but it's really easy to raise the measuring bit the way it is with a thumb or just pulling on it so I think I'll just leave it as it is, since it's working just fine.

Homemade_Thickness_Gauge_20170809_203205.jpg

Very nice, well done FoxMitchell, that will work just as good or better than those 100.00 ones. I made a couple also, not so nice looking though LOL. You can get those calipers with fractions too. your wood frame makes the caliper nice and lighter. last picture is a caliper I got to do another, you frame looks like to be my next calipers;)

20170731_054952.jpg

20170731_055002.jpg

20170731_055146.jpg

Thanks folks!

42 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

Very nice, well done FoxMitchell, that will work just as good or better than those 100.00 ones. I made a couple also, not so nice looking though LOL. You can get those calipers with fractions too. your wood frame makes the caliper nice and lighter. last picture is a caliper I got to do another, you frame looks like to be my next calipers;)

20170731_055002.jpg

Those look cool!

OoOh the clamp, I didn't even think about using a clamp like that. That's brilliant re-purposing! :)

18 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

Poor man's home made (1997) vs. new:

Still working perfectly, opens by own weight of the letter opener.

WP_20170817_17_40_49_Rich.thumb.jpg.43747bf3e6fa82650109182974366530.jpg

WP_20170817_17_41_17_Rich.thumb.jpg.804f61ddffa0855b1a7859b7e6872aa2.jpg

It is really cool!