I'm gonna be opening up a violin in the near future as I continue my journey learning to service them, and then I realized, I'm going to need some spool clamps to close it back up!

So I made some, with a long dowel I had lying around, some cork mats, and a bunch of 4-inch carriage bolts and wing-nuts, those last two I got on eBay for $10 for bags of 25, surprisingly not from China!

I started by chopping up the dowel into a bunch of equally-sized pieces, then glued them to the cork, waited a couple of days for the glue to fully dry, cut them all out with a band-saw, refined the shape with the belt sander, drilled a hole through them, threaded the screws, and voila!

If I ever make more of these I actually would do it different, though. My method proved to be more labor-intensive than I predicted. Next time I would glue a flat piece of wood of the right thickness to the cork, then use a hole saw to drill/cut them out at same time.

I can't wait to get to use them! :)

20170803_002931_1024.jpg

20170803_024101_1024.jpg

Spool_Clamps_20170807_233845_1024.jpg

52 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

I would suggest covering the middle of the bolt with plastic tubing. Leaving the metal exposed is a good way to accidentally scratch the edge of the instrument.

Yes, I thought about that! ...then I started overthinking it... Do I use just regular tubing? Maybe I could use some heat-shrinking tubing, or coat it in that rubberizing/plasticizing paint thing... ...and I ended up not going either of those things. ;) 

But I think just plastic tubing will be the way to go.

I just used short sections of clear tubing 2 pieces per clamp. Maybe 5-10 mm tall. Makes em removable, I have had to use my spool clamps in other situations where I needed to be able to remove the tubing for a smaller clamping thickness. 

6 hours ago, Frank Nichols said:

Here is a weird question - why 28?

That's how many I got out of the materials I had. ;)

I searched but couldn't find a clear answer on how many one needs to clamp a violin, seemed to be anywhere from 25 to 30. I could have split the dowel a bit thinner for a round number, but I had 3 bolts and wing-nuts of the right size already, and the packages for more came in counts of 25. So, 28. :)

38 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

That's how many I got out of the materials I had. ;)

I searched but couldn't find a clear answer on how many one needs to clamp a violin, seemed to be anywhere from 25 to 30. I could have split the dowel a bit thinner for a round number, but I had 3 bolts and wing-nuts of the right size already, and the packages for more came in counts of 25. So, 28. :)

:)

Those look as good as the ones I bought and have never used.  The ones I purchased didn't have anything covering the threads either.  A design improvement would seem to be a ratchet affair so that the clamps could be applied more rapidly, before the hide glue sets up.  I think I purchased 33 of them.

Edited by phutatorius
add info

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, cjankowski said:

I just used short sections of clear tubing 2 pieces per clamp. Maybe 5-10 mm tall. Makes em removable, I have had to use my spool clamps in other situations where I needed to be able to remove the tubing for a smaller clamping thickness. 

plastic drinking straw works great. cut a couple of 1" long pieces for each clamp and slit it the long way. slip them on over the exposed threaded section, they should overlap that way they are adjustable.

Very nicely made!

I have these chinese spool clamps. They came with a very smelly rubber hose on the screw, so I added shrinkwrap on the exposed thread; the type electricians use to cover exposed wiring.

IMG_8211.PNG

13 hours ago, Mike Spencer said:

plastic drinking straw works great. cut a couple of 1" long pieces for each clamp and slit it the long way. slip them on over the exposed threaded section, they should overlap that way they are adjustable.

That's a great trick! I have now retrofitted mine with some plastic drinking straw 'sleeves'. :)