Dan2

Purchasing Violin oil varnish in Australia

Dan2   

I'm hoping someone might know if it is possible to buy a small bottle of violin varnish (oil) from within Australia?

I don't believe it is, but perhaps someone has had success somewhere.

Thanks very much.

I don't know of any distributors in Australia. I use the Old Wood varnish system, and buy it directly from them in Spain or from other sellers of Old Wood products overseas.

Some of us have tried, with success, using oil based spar varnish. Make sure that it doesn't have any urethanes/polyurethanes in it. Being near the sea, you might have better luck with this.

Maybe something like this? Looks like they actually have a store in Tasmania!!

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=174&item=59615&intAbsolutePage=1

Dan2   

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.  

13 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

Being near the sea, you might have better luck with this.

yeah very true...I remember someone saying that Tasmanian's have the highest percentage of boat ownership per head of population in the world.  Heaps of marine varnish here.   Mind you,   I did away with the varnish brightwork on the gunnels (gunwales) years ago in favour of lanolin grease (from wool).  No more problem with the water getting under the splits in the varnish after the oars ding them!  2 coats 14 years ago and haven't touched them since!  

#brown   

Hammerl used to have a distributor in Australia but no more.

I have had a fair bit of back and forth with them directly but the shipping of dangerous goods into Australia is prohibitive.

If you have a source that 'doesn't know' about it you can try to order and hope to not lose it at customs. Good luck.

I'd love to find a source in Australia, too... and will have a look at the spar varnish in the meantime.

Edited by #brown

I have imported small amounts of varnish in the past but I don't think I would try now.

I've used DMV that I made myself and still have some that is ageing nicely.  It is not to everyone's liking. Paytons at Artarmon in Sydney used to carry some varnishes - but not much now: http://www.paytons.com.au/category.php?id_category=542

Adele Beardsmore and Alan Coggins used to have a recipe for varnish on their site https://abcviolins.com.au/ that didn't seem like it would burn down the neighborhood,  but it seems to be gone now.

I'll be interested to hear how you go.

Tim