Maestronet Forums

Auction house advice

Delabo

Please forgive me if this is not a proper topic to post in this forum.

I have owned a very nice violin for a few years.

6 weeks back I finally got around to taking photos of the said violin and sent them off to two UK auction houses, (I live in the UK).

Tarisio described it as "interesting" and expressed a wish for me to travel up to London to see it in person and  to consign it.

Ingles & Hayday have described it as "very interesting" and also wish me to take it London for further investigation.

Both of these Auction houses are not easy to get to,what with parking and underground etc.

Meanwhile Amati are having a valuation day at a hotel which is easier for me to travel to and park,although still quite a distance away. Anyway,I have made an appointment with them which is in a couple of weeks.

As I know very little about the various consignment fees,commisions, and also expertise levels,I was wondering if anyone could give advice as to the merits of each Auction house ?

The only one of those that I have experience with is Tarisio, bought and sold several times since they started up until recently. All of my experiences have been largely positive. Their fees have crept up over the years, there was a thread complaining about that recently. But their service has remained fairly consistent.

You seem to be unfamiliar with travelling to London.

Depending on where you live, if you want to drive most of the way, the simplest procedure is to drive to somewhere like Wimbledon, where you can easily park, and take the tube the rest of the way. If you are approaching from a different direction, modify appropriately.

Andrew

Dear Delabo,

Sorry to jump on the thread - I work at Amati and might be able to help.

Yes please, come to the valuation, although if you would rather have a home visit we can visit instead. You raise a number of questions that might be better done on the phone rather than on the forum. If you would like to direct message me with a number I am happy to call and we can chat through some of your questions.

(one quick warning - I am calling from home as travelling tomorrow - but the feral children are with their grandparents so it should be fairly peaceful).

Best wishes,

James Buchanan

As curious as everybody here is, I would not suggest posting it on MN if you are planning to auction it soon. Discussions of price and attributions can vary widely here, and in my opinion, you would be better off letting the auction market decide without being encumbered by potential buyers Googling to find price estimations here.

Just my opinion, though.

Thanks for your replies.

I am reluctant to post pictures of the violin in question on this forum for the reason that GeorgeH has wisely counselled above.

As I am completely new to the violin world I have very little idea of what the terms "interesting" or "very interesting" mean.

I emailed the photos off half expecting to be told that your violin is this or that and not worth us looking at in the flesh,so to speak. So I was somewhat surprised to receive replies asking me to bring the violin to London. Does this happen often ?

3 hours ago, Delabo said:

I emailed the photos off half expecting to be told that your violin is this or that and not worth us looking at in the flesh,so to speak. So I was somewhat surprised to receive replies asking me to bring the violin to London. Does this happen often ?

Yes, particularly if the violin is truly "interesting." :) Is it? For example, authentic instruments by known and respected makers which have an auction history are "interesting."

One thing that you could do is to ask the auction house experts if there are particular close-up pictures of areas that they would like to see that would help them (and you) decide if a personal visit is necessary. Also, if possible, a trip to your local luthier to get an inspection and report of any problems would be useful for the pre-visit discussions.

They will not be able to give you a precise estimate range without seeing the instrument, but they should be able to give you enough of a range for you to decide if it is worth your while to go.

By the way, are you actually interested in selling it or are you just fishing for valuation estimates?

I am not sure if showing the violin in forum will have big influence on the auction. If it is a valuable instrument the buyer group should not be the forum google type. Usually no price tags are called here too. Of course I can understand your point of view too and I have to admit I am curious about the violin. 

My personal interpretation on intersting would be, that is not an obvious manufacture instrument. If they ask you to look at it in person I would expect it to be looking decent!

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

Yes, particularly if the violin is truly "interesting." :) Is it? For example, authentic instruments by known and respected makers which have an auction history are "interesting."

One thing that you could do is to ask the auction house experts if there are particular close-up pictures of areas that they would like to see that would help them (and you) decide if a personal visit is necessary. Also, if possible, a trip to your local luthier to get an inspection and report of any problems would be useful for the pre-visit discussions.

They will not be able to give you a precise estimate range without seeing the instrument, but they should be able to give you enough of a range for you to decide if it is worth your while to go.

By the way, are you actually interested in selling it or are you just fishing for valuation estimates?

Catch 22.

My primary motive is to find out where,when,and who made it.

I have owned the violin for a few years and have been learning via this excellent forum and by searching the internet and reading books. In a way it has already paid me back handsomely,as I tend to value knowledge over material things. So,if it does turn out to have minimal monetary value it will help mitigate any temporary disappointment !

I am pretty much at the end of where I can go on my own,and have finally realised that I need an expert to look at it.

Hence,I have an appointment to see an Amati expert in two weeks time. The blurb on their website says it is an antique roadshow type of venue with no obligation to sell,and this is why I have chosen to go to this place rather than to London.