Sign in to follow this  
Jack Devereux

Sharpening Bridge Knives

10 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Hard to believe that so many top professionals from around the planet disagree with Darnton.

You have been very naughty.  Need a spankin'. Would you prefer to be spanked by Violadamore, or Sarah G? ;)

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

You have been very naughty.  Need a spankin'. Would you prefer to be spanked by Violadamore, or Sarah G? ;)

Sorry, there's a 2 year waiting list, maybe more if you require a Little Bo-Peep costume in your size like some people I could name..................... :P:lol:

19 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Sorry, there's a 2 year waiting list, maybe more if you require a Little Bo-Peep costume in your size like some people I could name..................... :P:lol:

The Little Bo-Peep costume would need to be in your size, unless you are uncommonly wooly. ;)

On 8/3/2017 at 0:26 AM, Jeffrey Holmes said:

My favorite bridge knife (3mm wide folded steel Japanese blade blank).  The length of the blade (cutting edge) is purposefully ground very slightly convex (I find the control is better and when a long straight blade is repeatedly honed it tends to go concave).  The knife works just fine hollow ground, but I tend to hone it repeatedly between grindings, so the hollow disappears for a while :) IMG_0673.JPG

Great looking knife!

42 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I'm not so sure. Doesn't look like it would be much good for opening a paint can.

More advanced professionals like Jeffery know that's what a large straight-blade screwdriver's for. :P

33 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

More advanced professionals like Jeffery know that's what a large straight-blade screwdriver's for. :P

What is this "screwdriver" you speak of? I thought that was the proper purpose of my mothers butter knives - driving screws.

8 minutes ago, Frank Nichols said:

What is this "screwdriver" you speak of? I thought that was the proper purpose of my mothers butter knives - driving screws.

Learned that from your dad, didn't you now?  Was the divorce a messy one?  :ph34r:;)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

I'm not so sure. Doesn't look like it would be much good for opening a paint can.

I thought it was for putting a pin hole at the bottom of your beer can to improve flow rate. B)

7 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Learned that from your dad, didn't you now?  Was the divorce a messy one?  :ph34r:;)

Actually, they were married for 65 years, I think he always blamed me, so I figured I might as well do it since I was getting blamed for it anyway... :)

1 hour ago, Frank Nichols said:

Glad you found a practical use for the now obsolete hand-powered butter knife (which has largely been replaced by the Sawzall). The Sawzall with the butter-cutting blade is also pretty good for "cuttin' the cheese".

36 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Are there any good tricks for removing blood from wood?

Dare we ask why?

7 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Are there any good tricks for removing blood from wood?

It will bleach out pretty well with 3% hydrogen peroxide. It may take several applications, keeping it moist for a while each time.

6 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Hoodlum bust into violin shop looking for drugs.  Seal training kicked in.  Did you think I cut myself with little microknife or something?

Well...^_^

Bill, I am going to take your comment seriously. 

I would start with cold water containing a special detergent.  Spartan makes a special enzyme laundry detergent that is especially useful for removing blood.  You will have to make multiple applications and give it a day or so.  Keeping it damp would be useful.  You should be able to tease it out.

This stuff worked for me when my cat left me a bloody, dead mouse on a wool carpet.  I did not notice it for a week until it stunk.  The Spartan product did a perfect removal.  That gallon of Spartan cost about $50.

Mike D

^I'm not a woodworker but it seems like it would be a frequent problem.  I think if I was making a violin part I'd do it from hardest part to easiest so I could scrap it sooner...

8 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

^I'm not a woodworker but it seems like it would be a frequent problem.  I think if I was making a violin part I'd do it from hardest part to easiest so I could scrap it sooner...

Fail fast, fail often - fastest path to success.

12 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Or you could start with less complicated parts and build skill and confidence as you go. Just saying....