Sign in to follow this  
Johnett

Violin ID Please

This violin is being restored I only have pictures of what he has sent me. We believe it is from 1801 to 1850. He found this label inside anyone can give me thoughts or information on it I would like to include it with the violin. Any information will be appreciated very much. I have tried for a month to ID with no luck. There was newspaper clippings inside case I included the pictures 

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

Edited by Johnett

That's not a label, but more likely a poor attempt at soundpost area reinforcement.  It looks to be a "Stainer" style Saxon violin, nicer than most (someone cut "bee-stings" at the purfling corners, for instance).  IMHO, it's a better-quality Markneukirchen-Schoenbach trade instrument circa 1875 or so.  When you can get them, more photos would be useful. :)

Thank you both. I don't know a lot about violins but The piece of paper that is in German and signed Johann doesn't mean anything that is by the inside F holes?   When I get it I will try to get better pictures.