Sign in to follow this  
Altgeiger

First American violin work

What kind of work? 

Fiddle? Classical? Religious?

Menotti wrote a concerto  - edit: never mind...1952. Thought he was a lot older than that...

Barber wrote one in 1939.

Rue, thanks for professionally obfuscating.  I'm looking for a work with a single known composer.  There are certainly ones in the middle of the 19th century, but I'm sure there are some earlier than I've yet found.

Years ago I read that Benjamin Franklin had written a quartet which could be played on open strings.  I don't recall hearing it.  But on Y-tube there is a recording of a quartet for 3 violins and 'cello.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_Bu0jKUQ8

But there is also a more sophisticated work probably written in Paris.  It seems there is some argument as to whether Franklin wrote it or not.  There is also a recording of this on Y_Tube.

An article on the subject:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/985761?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

But of course there was probably some earlier American composition for violin.

What is an American composition anyway?

Written by an American in America?

Written by an American - but written  somewhere else in the world?

Written elsewhere by someone who later became an American?

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Or does it include South American's? 

12 minutes ago, Rue said:

Please answer each question.  25 points is possible for each answer.

Does whether a composer was American depend on whether there was a political entity called America?  If it has to be the United States of America then such a composition can't predate 1789

I see I should have been more clear.  First, I should have specified North America, and more particularly the United States of America.  By an American violin work, I meant a work prominently featuring the violin by an American composer while he or she was a long-term resident of the United States — continental or otherwise — even if the work itself was composed on foreign soil.

By "prominently featuring the violin", I mean that the listener would tend to hear the violin as an independent and interesting voice; this means that works like Antes's trios would probably qualify, while the Pachelbel works performed colla voce would probably not.

If there are arguments as to what qualifies as a violin, and a work, and a composer, and long-term residence, I'll happily attempt to answer them, but I hope this is pedantic enough for now.  ;)

I'm very interested in the Antes works, especially after listening to a couple movements.  Thanks, Stephen Fine, for thinking of the Moravians.

Looking into it further, I see that the John Antes trios would not qualify, since even though Antes was born in what would become the United States, he had been living and working in Europe for some time, had gone to Egypt as a missionary, and after being nearly beaten to death there wrote his trios during his convalescence.  He then left Egypt for Europe, never to return to the Americas before his death in Bristol.