Maestronet Forums

HELP WITH VIOLIN ID

Thomas Knight

8 hours ago, martin swan said:

I had one from around 1830, though I admit the Op fiddle looks later ...

I started to mistrust the dating of certain MW Verleger violins after having seen some Mathias Neuner with dates around 1830, which appears to me ca. 40-50 years younger.

The back seam is unglued, and all the cleats are missing. There was one loose in the case, and it was rectangular. What looks like gaps in the blocks & linings appears to be the linings came loose, the block cracked and pieces fell off--or whatever order it occured. This one is the dustiest & dirtiest I have had.

Thanks Thomas - any chance of a photo of the front rather than top of the blocks please? Educationally, it is a good opportunity to view the insides of an inside mould violin - i.e blocks and linings. Many of the internal photos on MN are of BOBs with faux blocks and Outside mould. I was a bit thrown by the gaps I must admit - with my eyesight I couldn't tell where the linings ended and where the blocks began!

No sarcasm please.....although pity is ok.

Thanks Mike

Sometimes, with these Verleger violins, the “Verleger” himself, or the bloke who delivered the scroll, wrote his initials and the year in black ink on the end grain bottom of the peg box. We have had this before on this forum, if anybody has his head around the search function better than I do. Otherwise appraising the date of Verleger violins is pretty much guesswork, since they were made for much of the 19th C. up until the great depression.

Back joints were never a particularly strong suit in Mittenwald.

2 hours ago, victordriver said:

Thanks Thomas - any chance of a photo of the front rather than top of the blocks please? Educationally, it is a good opportunity to view the insides of an inside mould violin - i.e blocks and linings. Many of the internal photos on MN are of BOBs with faux blocks and Outside mould. I was a bit thrown by the gaps I must admit - with my eyesight I couldn't tell where the linings ended and where the blocks began!

No sarcasm please.....although pity is ok.

Thanks Mike

There is no top block or neck. The lower block is cracked. In the case was a baroque length neck and scroll but I could tell from a different violin and region, different varnish, etc. The bassbar is very low. Does that offer any time estimation for the date?

VIO GUAD 10.jpg

VIO GUAD 11.jpg

VIO GUAD 12.jpg

VIO GUAD 13.jpg

1 hour ago, Thomas Knight said:

In the case was a baroque length neck and scroll but I could tell from a different violin and region, different varnish, etc. The bassbar is very low. Does that offer any time estimation for the date?

Beside that I don't really understand what's meant with baroque length neck and scroll /there were many different neck lengths in the baroque period) it's usually not possible to make a dating based on scale length and bass bar. Just as Jacob said, it's a tradition lasting 100 years.

BTW, many detailled photos of inside mould blocks and linings are offered in different threads all over the pegbox.

21 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Beside that I don't really understand what's meant with baroque length neck and scroll /there were many different neck lengths in the baroque period) it's usually not possible to make a dating based on scale length and bass bar. Just as Jacob said, it's a tradition lasting 100 years.

BTW, many detailled photos of inside mould blocks and linings are offered in different threads all over the pegbox.

Thanks Blank Face - they are quite hard to find! If you have a link or even a hint that would be great. The OPs blocks are interesting as they are falling apart.