Kimmo89

Stradivari tools, again

Kimmo89   

I was just wondering, where is this slot used for at the bottom of graduation punch? Is it just for a missing stand? Red arrow.

How about the wood pieces at the sides of the iron pin holder? Are these original or made there afterwards? I think I see a nail going throught there to lock all up? Blue arrows.

stradivari punch.jpg

Kimmo89   

Yes, I was about to ask it too. Cradle does not need a stand.

And I dont see why the clamping should happen from the sides instead of the ends.

MikeC   

bottom slot could be for a cross bar so it can sit free standing on a work surface and doesn't have to be clamped in a vice or held down with a holdfast.   A cross bar with a similar slot that would fit into that one would make it stable.

I would imagine the top bar is adjustable so it could be used with different sized instruments?  So the top bar could be removed from the base and used on a different sized base.   Otherwise being adjustable wouldn't make sense,  since the bottom anvil is stationary on this base.

The two pieces of wood would need to be there otherwise when the screw is tightened it would collapse the slot and could cause breakage.  The metal bracket may be one piece but it still makes sense to stabilize the slot in that area.

I can't guess about the nail that seems to be locking it up. 

I could be wrong of course.   :) 

cross bar2.png

crossbar_1.png

MikeC   

On second thought, the notch in the top bar here  (red square box) pretty much limits it's use to this base or one of equal length.  it could be the top was made adjustable so it would match the anvil and then never adjusted again after that.  Kind of like the seat adjustment in a car.  Once you get it right you never change it.   Seems like a lot of work to go through making it for a one time use though. 

oh wait... that side screw doesn't go all the way through the wood to the other side does it?   or does it?  In that case the slot would make very little sense at all.   Is there a picture of the back side of it?

Does anyone know what wood this is made of?

topbar.png

We had a long discussion on this a few years ago. I can't find it.

My take is that the punch, which is threaded, is tightened by being clamped between the two sides of the slot by the thumbscrew. There was probably a plate of metal for the thumbscrew to press on, to stop it going into the wood of the top bar. If there was no slot, there wouldn't be enough flexibility to grip the punch. If the punch was just threaded through a hole in the top bar, it wouldn't be long till it worked loose.

Kimmo89   

Yes, Mike.

This is what I made for my graduation punch seen in the picture.

But I think it has to be clamped anyway when working with it. If the spike sticks in wood, the whole machine will jump.

Talking about cradles too, I made this model - Davide Sora.

I hope the rose wood / maple corner clamps will last. If not, I will make the clamps from metal.

I know, too expensive wood "wasted" for these, but I like to work with good lookin or maybe good looking tools.

I will weld the tightening screws heads and file groove for it. Very hard to find groove screws these days.

työkalut3 017.JPG

työkalut2 014.JPG

Kimmo89   

Conor, as you can see I made this kind of plate there. If the spike never has to be moved, I dont like to see marks from the screw there.

MikeC   
2 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

We had a long discussion on this a few years ago. I can't find it.

My take is that the punch, which is threaded, is tightened by being clamped between the two sides of the slot by the thumbscrew. There was probably a plate of metal for the thumbscrew to press on, to stop it going into the wood of the top bar. If there was no slot, there wouldn't be enough flexibility to grip the punch. If the punch was just threaded through a hole in the top bar, it wouldn't be long till it worked loose.

I like that as an explanation for the slot and the side screw. 

Kimmo89, that's a nice looking punch and cradle !  

If the little plate is missing from the original, the thumbscrew will have worn into the upper bar, and the punch assembly become loose. I suspect that the two little blocks were put in to make it all solid again.

MikeC   

In Strad's tools there are two squares a larger one and a smaller one.   The small one has some cutouts in it.  Any idea what the purpose of those cutouts would be? I mean the shaded areas here in the small one

strad squares.jpg

2 hours ago, Kimmo89 said:

Does anyone know if the S 1703 form says "Setembre" or "Settembre"?

Here, I couldn't figure out why you think September may have been misspelled in Italian with only one t by Stradivari, so I did a quick Google search for you:

Screen-Shot-2017-07-22.jpg

10 hours ago, Kimmo89 said:

Does anyone know if the S 1703 form says "Setembre" or "Settembre"?

Setembre.

I do not know if this is because Stradivari was an illiterate, or if the word was the one used in the Italian spoken at that time, but the substance does not change, indisputably indicates the month of September.

Why you ask?

597476e62fe4a_DSC_8241ridrit.jpg.556f417ea6a0c4032034f682c08ea4b3.jpg597476fd788fc_DSC_8241rid.jpg.3350a17a0ab31e4164dc53f7df9131e6.jpg

Kimmo89   

Hello Davide.

I was just finishing my S mold. Even if I dont know will I never use it.

I googled and found out "settembre" is how it supposed to be in italian, but I tought the mold said "setembre".

Thanks for confirmation.

Or maybe Stradivari was bad to read and write.

Addie   

If I recall correctly, the Italian language wasn't standardized until the 19th century.  

Notice he also misspelled "Addie."  :lol:

Kimmo89   

What wood are these clamping blocks made of?

And all Stradivari molds has this pin mark and two half circular lines next to it. What is this used for, or is it just made there when the mold shapes were designed?

How about the templates used to draw the shapes of the corner and end blocks, what wood are these?

Pictures from Kevin Lee.

stradivari blocks.jpg

stradivari mold.jpg

Kimmo89   

If I understand correctly.

The closer arc to the point is the rib height from upper end and the further arc is the height from lower end?

Talking about G mold for examble. measures are 29mm and 32mm.

PG 29.5mm and 32mm.

Interesting way to mark it on the mold.

24 minutes ago, Kimmo89 said:

If I understand correctly.

The closer arc to the point is the rib height from upper end and the further arc is the height from lower end?

Talking about G mold for examble. measures are 29mm and 32mm.

PG 29.5mm and 32mm.

Interesting way to mark it on the mold.

The largest measure is for lower block and corner blocks, the smallest measure is for upper block.

The tilt goes from upper corner blocks to the upper block.

Someone (Mr. Darnton if I remember correctly) gives a different interpretation, arguing that the two arches serve for the radius of curves for shaping the blocks.

Don Noon   
On 7/20/2017 at 9:14 AM, Kimmo89 said:

I was just wondering, where is this slot used for at the bottom of graduation punch? Is it just for a missing stand? Red arrow.

I'm a bit late to the party, having been computerless out of the country for a few weeks...

but my immediate thought was that it was for clamping in a bench vise.  Without knowing what the shop layout and benches looked like in Strad's shop, it's all speculation, but if it was my shop, I'd want the punch handle to be sticking out perpendicular to the bench, rather than parallel to it, and that slot would work fine for the way I would want to clamp it.

Addie   

... presuming Strad's bench had a screw vise.  The two semi-circular cutouts suggest the use of holdfasts.  We also know he had a drawerfull of c-clamps.  I'm assuming he had drawers.  :huh:

BUT, the bottom line is, both the grad punch and the cradle come from the Cerani collection, so we're not 100% sure these are even Stradivari's.  The c-clamps are from the Fiorini collection; more likely to be Strad's.

Oh, P.S. the lower part of the grad punch is pieced.  We don't know when the bottom bit was glued on, or when the big notch was cut.