keyboardclass

How to clean a label

Recommended Posts

You can dust it with a manual lens duster, which lightly puffs air.  An ear cleaning bulb would work, too.

You could try canned air, but go slow, and don't get too close.  Haven't tried.  

Dust with a sable brush. This is a very light abrasive.

Alternately, try photographing, and manipulating the images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Addie said:

You can dust it with a manual lens duster, which lightly puffs air.  An ear cleaning bulb would work, too.

You could try canned air, but go slow, and don't get too close.  Haven't tried.  

Dust with a sable brush. This is a very light abrasive.

Alternately, try photographing, and manipulating the images.

yes with some mild manipulation Markneukirchen becomes Stradivarius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, victordriver said:

yes with some mild manipulation Markneukirchen becomes Stradivarius

Well, he did most of his work there. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heat a handful of uncooked rice in a microwave until warm to the touch, pour it in through the f-holes, and swish it around for a few minutes. Flip it over and get the rice out the way it got in. Then spend a half hour trying to get that last goddamn grain to fall through the goddamn f-hole. Repeat as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arglebargle said:

Heat a handful of uncooked rice in a microwave until warm to the touch

It does not need to be heated to work well, and I use a measured tablespoon of rice.

Personally, I would not put warm anything inside a violin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

How can I clean the label inside to make it readable without taking the top off?  Thanks in advance!

Do you have a photo of the label (pre-rice) ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

It does not need to be heated to work well, and I use a measured tablespoon of rice.

Personally, I would not put warm anything inside a violin.

Would that include an inspection light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Would that include an inspection light?

No, but I am careful to avoid touching the interior with the lamp. I would not put warm rice inside a violin, but that is just me personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lighting is a must! My Luthier Lights generate very little heat, and give fantastic light for interior work, A USB endoscope is also a great accessory. This picture was taken using that combo.

Snapshot@2017_0718_153634.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FiddleDoug said:

Good lighting is a must! My Luthier Lights generate very little heat, and give fantastic light for interior work, A USB endoscope is also a great accessory. This picture was taken using that combo.

Snapshot@2017_0718_153634.jpg

Doug's interior lighting is the best I've run across, so far.

33 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Haven't any of you got an air-compressor?:rolleyes:

Sure, but one needs to consider the use of high-velocity air judiciously, like the potential to blow off parts of poorly attached labels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, keyboardclass said:

How can I clean the label inside to make it readable without taking the top off?  Thanks in advance!

If dusting and a bright light doesn't help, you could see if you can read it under black light.  Who knows, the ink might glow bright green...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Heat a handful of uncooked rice in a microwave until warm to the touch, pour it in through the f-holes, and swish it around for a few minutes. Flip it over and get the rice out the way it got in. Then spend a half hour trying to get that last goddamn grain to fall through the goddamn f-hole. Repeat as needed.

Peter Prier cautioned us to tell the customer that it was uncooked rice, relating many incidents of cooked rice being put into instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ordered a USB endoscope but will have to wait 6 weeks as I'm away.  I should have said, you can barely see there's a label.  Just faint outlines of the paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/07/19 at 5:33 PM, keyboardclass said:

I've ordered a USB endoscope but will have to wait 6 weeks as I'm away.  - snip -

Hi keyboardclass - could you give some details of the one that you have selected.

Thanks edi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oyedens 5.5mm 6 LED Waterproof Lens HD Endoscope Inspection Camera for Android /Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7

Real cheap I'm afraid so I thought I'd see what it does (probably not anything!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.