Will L

TRIVIA: THIS AND THAT ABOUT THIS AND THAT

I am having a hard time making a violin connection here...but what the hey!

Just came back from out east and brought this home with me. Can't pinpoint the year. Anyone happen to know?

Spencer Buffalo. Think it's prior to 1920...

20170919_195521.jpg

Was Dr. Addie a G.P.?

I had found that list of serial numbers...but I can't find anything on the microscope that fits. There are some mostly illegable markings on the base - but they don't look like a serial number regardless.

I was trying plan B - picture key...

On 9/4/2017 at 11:47 AM, carl stross said:

Yes. That's how "fine" books used to be made - each page had to be cut individually by the reader. Only the opposite side of the spine. 

Not here, but in Germany at least.

Ooooh! Very close! I can live with ~1914!

Good eye! And researching! :)

The handle on my case is broken and I couldn't figure out how it worked...but it must be the same as the one on Dr. Addie's case - the design of which I don't recall seeing before...

Thanks for posting that! :)

Word of the day: desquamate

....which got me thinking, has anyone ever swabbed a violin to see what's growing on it? :wacko:

36 minutes ago, Rue said:

Word of the day: desquamate

Yup, I did that to my kitchen door today.  Opened it, and the small horde of little green squamata sunning on it scattered in all directions, probably cussing me in lizardese.  ;):lol:

Of course, for anyone who's ever had palmoplantar dermatitis, the word's not funny at all. :wub:

Aside from potential skin loss issues...

I tried to make a quick stop at the deli on the way home - my men want sandwich meat. Need 400g of dry salami. In a bit of a time crunch - have a phone appointment coming up.

The guy in front of me:

"I need 200g of ham. Oh no! That's a bit over. You will have to take some off! No! Now it's not enough! You need to add some more!

Now I need 100g of roast beef. Sliced thicker. No no! That's much too thick! You will have to slice it much thinner!

Now I need 50g of pastrami. NO! Not that pastrami! This one (points). It's cheaper. What? That's not pastrami? What is it? Can I get a sample? (*chew chew*). No. I don't think I like it.  I will get that first pastrami."

...and that sums up my week so far...<_<

But! Violin lesson tomorrow!  That will nicely reset things...^_^

17 minutes ago, Rue said:

The guy in front of me:

"I need 200g of ham. Oh no! That's a bit over. You will have to take some off! No! Now it's not enough! You need to add some more!

Now I need 100g of roast beef. Sliced thicker. No no! That's much too thick! You will have to slice it much thinner!

Now I need 50g of pastrami. NO! Not that pastrami! This one (points). It's cheaper. What? That's not pastrami? What is it? Can I get a sample? (*chew chew*). No. I don't think I like it.  I will get that first pastrami."

See what you get for going metric?   If that nervous, picky gentleman thought in larger units, with wider error margins, he'd have been gone much faster.  "A pint's a pound the world around".  [Hoists a pint in salute]  ;):lol:

2 hours ago, Rue said:

LOL! :lol:

But seriously - who does that?

Someone who's OCD and perfectionist enough to take up the violin next, and show up at your orchestra rehearsals (with a very expensive instrument) wanting to solo?  :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Rue said:

He looked more like the tuba sort...

No problem!   He'll be behind you, then.  :D

Violin trivia:  apparently most violin players can sing the music in their heads - which aids when playing said music...

And then there's me.  :angry:

Grocery store story:  I am third in line at the till. An older...seemingly very sweet,  tiny lady with long brown hair is buying some bullion and a single muffin.  Total was $2.38.

"Can you check to see what the price of the bullion is? I thought it was supposed to be on sale? 79 cents? Are you sure? I thought it was 76 cents? 79 cents is s little expensive. But that's okay. I will get it.

Do you have an ingredient list for the muffin? I have allergies. I need to know exactly what's in it and where it was made. Can't have cross contamination..."

While we were waiting (and waiting)  (many seemingly idle employees milling around - but only one till open) I noticed that the tall young man in front of me only had one ear...

When I finally paid for my groceries and was leaving...the tiny lady was happily trotting off somewhere with the store manager. I pesume they were tracking down baking facilities.

Yes. I lead a very uninteresting life...:ph34r:

9 hours ago, Rue said:

Violin trivia:  apparently most violin players can sing the music in their heads - which aids when playing said music...

Grocery store story:  I am third in line at the till. An older...seemingly very sweet,  tiny lady with long brown hair is buying some bullion and a single muffin.  Total was $2.38.

"Can you check to see what the price of the bullion is? I thought it was supposed to be on sale? 79 cents? Are you sure? I thought it was 76 cents? 79 cents is s little expensive. But that's okay. I will get it.

Do you have an ingredient list for the muffin? I have allergies. I need to know exactly what's in it and where it was made. Can't have cross contamination..."

While we were waiting (and waiting)  (many seemingly idle employees milling around - but only one till open) I noticed that the tall young man in front of me only had one ear...

When I finally paid for my groceries and was leaving...the tiny lady was happily trotting off somewhere with the store manager. I pesume they were tracking down baking facilities.

Yes. I lead a very uninteresting life...:ph34r:

Uninteresting to you perhaps Rue, but I want more... what happened next???

Have you written any novels? Pubilished or not? Can I have a signed copy please?

13 hours ago, Rue said:

............I noticed that the tall young man in front of me only had one ear...

1.  Interesting observation.  Yes, I do that, and took it for granted.  Could we be looking at an odd talent here, like "photographic memory"?

2.  One shouldn't comment on such things.  How Gogh-che.  ;):ph34r:

On 11/15/2017 at 5:33 AM, sospiri said:

Uninteresting to you perhaps Rue, but I want more... what happened next???

Have you written any novels? Pubilished or not? Can I have a signed copy please?

I will send you 100 complimentary copies of my first novel! :wub:

On 11/15/2017 at 9:05 AM, GeorgeH said:

Of corn?

No...I have taken a fair amount of zoology courses...pretty sure it was the ear from the left side of his head...

On 11/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, Violadamore said:

1.  Interesting observation.  Yes, I do that, and took it for granted.  Could we be looking at an odd talent here, like "photographic memory"?

2.  One shouldn't comment on such things.  How Gogh-che.  ;):ph34r:

I wonder if it is a talent that we've overlooked/under estimated?  That's certainly not my only issue with my innate lack of musicality but I suspect it plays a big role.

I would never have commented in public!  But in the relative anonymity of the internet (:blink:) - I figured I was safe...

Reminds me of the time my husband was holding our boy in a grocery store line. He was two. He points to a buxom young woman and says very loudly, " Look, papa! That one have biiiig boo-boos!" All his dad could say was, "Yep, you're right." Face palm.

Powers of observation are good.. 

LOL...I also wonder how often little girls notice the same thing (and with the same enthusiasm!) as little boys (and their dads)... ^_^