Will L

TRIVIA: THIS AND THAT ABOUT THIS AND THAT

That's got to be worth at least an added 500 steps! :D

I have never liked the term philately for the collecting of stamps.  But I admire the buggers for taking up dictionary space with their own dedicated word.  But what are violin collectors stuck with:  violin collecting!  And THAT is two words, in case anyone is counting. 

Why don't we have our own high-brow word, suitable for forgetting and mispronouncing,  just like stamp collectors?  Are we not just as valuable to society?  Heck, they only need some tweezers and a magnifying glass;  and a huge collection can be stored in the smallest safety deposit box.  We have to have a cleaning rag and a bow, and even a small collection can fill a closet (which could be better used as a small preventive asylum every time we get the urge to buy another instrument).   I demand equality.  Any ideas for a good word? Note that stupidity is in such general use for so many other endeavors that to avoid confusion we must eliminate it from consideration.

I encourage referring to violin collecting (as opposed to merely having some rational reason to possess fiddles, like actually playing them) as violinophilia^_^

I take a dim view of people who collect useful objects, and bugger up the market for people who seriously use the whatever-it-is.  If someone has a perverse need to hoard, by all means, let them collect something useless. :P

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

I encourage referring to violin collecting (as opposed to merely having some rational reason to possess fiddles, like actually playing them) as violinophilia^_^

I take a dim view of people who collect useful objects, and bugger up the market for people who seriously use the whatever-it-is.  If someone has a perverse need to hoard, by all means, let them collect something useless. :P

Vilopeggery ain't a bad start, Rue.  

To bring serious conversation to a thread supposedly for trivia, I have mixed feelings about collectors.  They say that without salting away many of the great old violins, there would be fewer fine examples today.  But as a player, I was always bugged by violins held by people who couldn't play them; some not at all.  One fellow had a Strad and would look at it lovingly from the front, while plucking each string in turn to listen to the pure ringing.  Then he'd turn it over and look at the back and continue the plucking.  That was it.  At least he didn't collect bows!  :)

I suppose to bring things back to the trivial we should suggest to the philatelists that "IF THEY CAN'T LICK 'EM THEY SHOULDN'T COLLECT 'EM.  I mean, if a stamp isn't used to send a scathing anonymous letter to your city council it is just in some rich man's limbo.  Shameful, I declare!    (insert smily-face if necessary)

Why thank you! :)

I am on the fence about collecting too - too many variables to sort out  - unless of course it's cheese labels. Can't think of a downside there. :rolleyes:

Well, another thought on collecting is that assuming not all the instruments would be maintained/saved if there were no collectors, maybe it is better to have collectors and hope that someday they will release them back into the wild.

1 hour ago, Frank Nichols said:

..............maybe it is better to have collectors and hope that someday they will release them back into the wild.

Thanks to your loosely-associated pronouns, I get this hilarious mental picture of hopelessly urbanized violin collectors dumped in some lovely tropical hellhole on Naked and Afraid. :lol::ph34r:

11 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I

Nice large two women saws with some painting on it hanging in a junk-shop,

has anyone ever put one of those in their house?

6 minutes ago, Evan Smith said:

Nice large two women saws with some painting on it hanging in a junk-shop,

has anyone ever put one of those in their house?

You'd have to ask some of the city folk.  Their ideas of what qualifies as "folk art" seem a little strange to us country types.  I've even seen totally modern circular saw blades with stuff painted on them at "craft shows".  Ridiculous. :rolleyes:  Now if you folded that into a hunting knife, and put a decent handle on it, you might have something worth displaying.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Thanks to your loosely-associated pronouns, I get this hilarious mental picture of hopelessly urbanized violin collectors dumped in some lovely tropical hellhole on Naked and Afraid. :lol::ph34r:

Funny you should catch that, I thought almost the exact some thing before I posted it, but I was so tired, I just said screw it - lol...

Going off your suggestion, consider 'fiddlephilia'. :huh:

And do we have a word for collecting pictures of animals playing violin?

21 hours ago, Will L said:

I suppose to bring things back to the trivial we should suggest to the philatelists that "IF THEY CAN'T LICK 'EM THEY SHOULDN'T COLLECT 'EM.  I mean, if a stamp isn't used to send a scathing anonymous letter to your city council it is just in some rich man's limbo.  Shameful, I declare!    (insert smily-face if necessary)

A stamp that fetched $9.5 million in a 2014 auction the British Guiana 1c magenta is considered the most valuable and rarest stamp in the world. Only one of its type exists now, which is used and cut in the shape of an octagon. The stamp was issued in limited numbers in 1856 by former British Guiana. It features a sailing ship along with the colony’s motto ‘Damus Petimus Que Vicissim’ (We give and expect in return). It was discovered in 1873 by a Scottish schoolboy named Louis Vernon Vaughan among his uncle’s letters. The stamp has been mentioned in various films as a prized object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCS2qiypXA4

British-Guiana-1c-Magenta.jpg.f3756a77cbe0f49d966afb03caa65f9d.jpg

Considering the realized price, the purchaser did not bother too much with the trivia that somebody else had licked it before... :P 

14 hours ago, David Beard said:

Going off your suggestion, consider 'fiddlephilia'. :huh:

And do we have a word for collecting pictures of animals playing violin?

Not for collecting, but for a classification: VIOLIN-PLAYING ANIMALS:  faunaphydlia?  As used in a sentence, "I and my faunaphydlist orangutan Jockey Bear took the Metro by storm and made the cover of Paris Match.  But it took all my busking profits to get the Strad restored."

Lol...two more and we will have a quartet! :D Er, I assume the goriila is a violist?^_^

Other trivia: I just bought two of these. Any idea what they might have been used for?

20170818_182336.jpg

20170818_182358.jpg

Some sort of lab table.  Looks designed to plug into a floor mounted power receptacle.  Did you get them at a university surplus sale? :)

We bought them through a middleman. I think he said they were from a business of some sort. I assumed some kind of manufacturing?

4 hours ago, Rue said:

We bought them through a middleman. I think he said they were from a business of some sort. I assumed some kind of manufacturing?

It seems to me like something was done on the table that required absolute cleanliness (it looks like stainless, and seems to have been polished a lot) and did not damage the surface through cutting, hammering, heavy weights, or the like.  I wonder if it was used for pastry- or candy-making or something similar?  :)