Will L

TRIVIA: THIS AND THAT ABOUT THIS AND THAT

Lol...I might have to invent fiddle-rap to get just the right flavour...

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Rubens did very well with what was available. :)

What a marvelously accurate slice of life on the farm, and possibly the most uniquely remarkable post I've seen on MN!  But, alas, no photos. :lol:

Trust me...you wouldn't want to see photos...:wacko:

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Trust me...you wouldn't want to see photos...:wacko:

True, but the effect on the more sheltered "urban cowpersons" in the audience could be hilarious. :ph34r:

I am willing to share this photo though...taken at the start of the Forest Tent Caterpillar Apocalypse. It got progressively worse from there. I think we may have to repaint the house...but we will try power washing first...

20170602_105421.jpg

How bizarre that they congregate on your house (which doesn't appear to be made of anything edible), rather than on a tree.  Are they in the habit of attacking entomologists? :huh:

15 hours ago, Addie said:

Rue has clearly never heard The Hen's March to the Midden...

Well here's a summer story.

During the 90s I had my workshop in Greystones, where Ronnie Drew of the Dubliners lived. He's the one on the guitar on the right. He came to hear of us, and occasionally popped in to say hello. He was a really decent man. 

Anyway, one morning he arrived in, smoking one of his enormous cigars as usual. The ash was about an inch and a quarter long, and getting longer, to the point that it was beginning to bend under its own weight. We were chatting in the reception room, which had a cream coloured wool carpet. So I excused myself and dashed in to get my ashtray off the bench. I came out to Ronnie with it - no ash!

Where he put it was a complete mystery to us, and I'm afraid we spent a good deal too much time looking and speculating. The next day I opened a cello for repair, and lo and behold there was Ronnie's ash, rolling around with the tumbleweed and sweet papers.

Lol!  Some people! ^_^

My Dad was a smoker. I remember he would catch ash in  his hand...didn't need a cello...:D

7 hours ago, Violadamore said:

How bizarre that they congregate on your house (which doesn't appear to be made of anything edible), rather than on a tree.  Are they in the habit of attacking entomologists? :huh:

They were very determined to head North...and up...

I think the house was just in the way...

And I was too...lol...l am a tiny drop in the bucket as far as Mother Nature...and billions caterpillars are concerned...^_^

I am trying desperately to come up with violin trivia...but it's slow around here at the best of times...and in the summer it all slows down even more...

Hubby disposed of the remains for me...and power washed the outhouse...now I just have to go in and tidy it up properly.  I have kept the door open since it still smells 'dead' in there, especially since we are having a prolonged heat wave...

We need a gardening/houseplant forum...anyone have any experience with African Violets?  My grandmother had beautiful ones :wub:.  I can't seem to get it right :angry:.  My lighting and household environment are okay (at least in theory) - so I'm assuming it's my watering/soil/fertilizing regime .  I'm going to repot the 5 I have (bought African Violet soil)...any other advice?

I am fully in my summer time fiddle mode, so all my plants are getting the benefit of some catchy reels and dreamy waltzes (and on the bassoon I seem to be in Jazz mode)...that should help them grow.  Er, unless my faulty timing is causing the issues...:(

On 7/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, Rue said:

I am trying desperately to come up with violin trivia...but it's slow around here at the best of times...and in the summer it all slows down even more...

Hubby disposed of the remains for me...and power washed the outhouse...now I just have to go in and tidy it up properly.  I have kept the door open since it still smells 'dead' in there, especially since we are having a prolonged heat wave...

We need a gardening/houseplant forum...anyone have any experience with African Violets?  My grandmother had beautiful ones :wub:.  I can't seem to get it right :angry:.  My lighting and household environment are okay (at least in theory) - so I'm assuming it's my watering/soil/fertilizing regime .  I'm going to repot the 5 I have (bought African Violet soil)...any other advice?

I am fully in my summer time fiddle mode, so all my plants are getting the benefit of some catchy reels and dreamy waltzes (and on the bassoon I seem to be in Jazz mode)...that should help them grow.  Er, unless my faulty timing is causing the issues...:(

I use these self watering pots for my African violets.  The're kind of like double boilers.  You water the outer pot and the inner pot with the violets absorb the amount of water they need.  You only add water when the outer pot water level is low.  African violet liquid fertilizer works with these pots.  just add it to the water.

https://www.repotme.com/african-violets/ceramic-self-watering-pots/

-Jim

On 7/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, Rue said:

We need a gardening/houseplant forum...anyone have any experience with African Violets? 

No, I've avoided them.  If one is going to try to grow picky tropical flowers, it's more fun to kill orchids instead. :lol:

Jim: I will see if I can find those! They are pretty. :)

Vda: I go through high and low gardening phases. Our house - and our property are not conducive to plant life...so I  get discouraged after each new gardening attempt - followed by yet another "failure to thrive".

But there are certain weeds - some of those quite like it here.  Thriving away...<_<

47 minutes ago, Rue said:

Jim: I will see if I can find those! They are pretty. :)

Vda: I go through high and low gardening phases. Our house - and our property are not conducive to plant life...so I  get discouraged after each new gardening attempt - followed by yet another "failure to thrive".

But there are certain weeds - some of those quite like it here.  Thriving away...<_<

BTW, you can start a new plant from each leaf cutting.  So if you know someone with African violets...snip, snip...lots of plants in short order.

-Jim

Today's funny:

I ordered a book (about the Book of Kells) several weeks ago. It finally shipped...

From Edmonton  (6 hours west from our house) it went...

To Calgary (7 hours west of us) then....

To Saskatoon  (only 30 minutes east of us!)...and then...

To Winnipeg  (9 hours east of us) :mellow:

It is supposed to get here (officially) tomorrow. I will reserve optimism.

38 minutes ago, Rue said:

Today's funny:

I ordered a book (about the Book of Kells) several weeks ago. It finally shipped...

From Edmonton  (6 hours west from our house) it went...

To Calgary (7 hours west of us) then....

To Saskatoon  (only 30 minutes east of us!)...and then...

To Winnipeg  (9 hours east of us) :mellow:

It is supposed to get here (officially) tomorrow. I will reserve optimism.

Yup.  The mysteries of the postal service will likely persist when those of classic Cremonese luthiery are all solved.  Packages from all over the Far East regularly get to me faster than those mailed from New York, though most deliveries from China and Japan all pass through New York on the way............  :rolleyes:.

Someone has the patience of a Saint! 

Beautiful. :wub:

Wonder how much supplies cost? Wonder what the final price is?

Speaking of prices  - I am trying the Thomastik Alphayue strings on my Chinese Maggini violin. So far so good - except the A string sounds markedly nasal. Maybe it will settle down as the strings stretch out. 

Why go cheap? This is my outside violin and while it was time for new strings I don't play it enough to put on really expensive ones. Good opportunity to experiment a bit.

I also bought a new case. Going to try carbon fibre. The cheap foam case it was shipped in is too flimsy to actually use - it started coming apart the first time I used it (3 years or so ago) - and I am almost excessively careful. This year I don't want to have to worry about it exploding on me...

I just bought a case from the local music store...didn't bother shopping around this time. I will see if I like it - both the material and shaped vs rectangular.

Not trivia but at least violin related!

20170803_170510.jpg

My book on the Book if Kells arrived right on time! I guess its extended travel itinerary was properly accounted for. ^_^

Also posted this update in another thread!

My new 'plastic' case (not CF after all, but that's okay) did the trick at my 2-day outdoor event.  It handled the moving, jostling, dust and dirt well.  Wiped up easily and well when I got home.  Did get a little scratched up, but I expected that.  Temperatures were about 25 and 28 C.  No noticeable heat related issues - but then again, I was mostly in the shade - I wasn't out baking in the sun.

It is a little lighter and nicer to carry around.  Personally though, I miss the music pocket you get on the rectangular cases.  So I don't think I'll be switching around and using this as my regular case, but no promises! ^_^

Strings were also fine!  No complaints.  They are bright, and my fiddle is bright - but again, for fiddle camp it wasn't an issue.  I would buy them again.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:53 PM, Violadamore said:

No, I've avoided them.  If one is going to try to grow picky tropical flowers, it's more fun to kill orchids instead. :lol:

I don't believe in discriminating, and kill all flowers, plants and trees equally. I have planted 35 trees from Arborday  and the Red Maple is the only one to survive at the end of the first year. I plant a garden every year, so far nothing has made it to fruit. However, there are some volunteer tomatoes in the field, I think some birds deposited the seeds - I avoid that part of the field so they have a chance to survive...

Trivia:

Wear your smartwatch/step counter on your RIGHT wrist when practicing!

I did that today and my 1 hour of practicing = 1000 steps!

So all those days I didn't quite make my 10000 step goal - I likely actually did!

Apparently finger wriggling just does NOT impress the device...but a little bowing does!

How does bowing equal steps?  Sounds more like not playing what's on the page: a faulty reading.  :P

Hummingbirds around my feeder this summer, but not this one.  It's a hummingbird moth --- any around where you are?  Photo thanks to Phil Voice, Landscape Juice Network.  It amazes me.

Hummingbird moth.PNG