Will L

TRIVIA: THIS AND THAT ABOUT THIS AND THAT

During these summer doldrums, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where anyone who wishes can post violinistic trivia.  As far as I'm concerned, ALL THE TRIVIA FIT TO PRINT IS SUITABLE.  ANYTHING GOES:  You found a salt shaker in the form of a violist, great!  Some cellist ran an end-pin into his foot, all the better!  You get the idea.  :)  I'll start with the following:

I was watching Le Tour de France the other day;  they show wonderful scenes of France, many by helicopter.  One of the main reasons to watch, IMO.  They showed a cathedral in Albi, a suburb of Toulouse, which is considered likely the largest brick building in the world:  Sainte-Cecile Cathedral.  I remembered the Sainte Cecile des Thernes Violins of Vuillaume and decided to read up on the Saint.  Thernes (yes, a pun) out that she is the patron saint of musicians; and goodness knows we can always use one.  :)  Omobono started an interesting thread regarding Vuillaume in 2015 which is worth revisiting, which includes some of this.

The Wikipedia article is not sure exactly how or why the saint became the patron of musicians, but I guess it's a rough job that someone had to take on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cecilia

"Turns out she was... "?

How can you spend a life in music and not know of... ?

I suppose you've never heard of Purcel and Handel, either?  :P

383px-Antonio_Franchi_-_Personification_

I learned a new word! Hagiography!

There must have been a number of artists who had never actually seen a woman's breasts - either that or breasts used to look different...:rolleyes:

The violin looks off too...

17 minutes ago, Rue said:

There must have been a number of artists who had never actually seen a woman's breasts - either that or breasts used to look different...:rolleyes:

Maybe aesthetic surgery originated in the Baroque...:unsure:

6 hours ago, Addie said:

"Turns out she was... "?

How can you spend a life in music and not know of... ?

I suppose you've never heard of Purcel and Handel, either?  :P

383px-Antonio_Franchi_-_Personification_

Tho' I was raised a Catholic, I don't keep up with the saints and I had forgotten.

Remember that the inclusion of trivia is the idea of this thread, though I see it's going to go its own direction.  

So here's some more trivia:

The French have a wonderful expression used when you owe money to someone or have some other reason to avoid them:  Je vais vous payer jusque a la fete du Saint-Glinglin.   

The idea being, since there is no such saint or feast day for him, that I will pay you "when hell freezes over," or when hens grow teeth."   (Hope I got the expression about right.)

Here's more trivia:

Supposedly Fritz Kreisler once came out to play the Beethoven and realized that he had gotten shaving soap on his bow hair and he played at least the first movement using just 1/2 the bow length.  Which half, you might ask?  Supposedly the lower half.

I find Rue's offering a bit of excellent trivia, because I have absolutely NO idea when I will be able to use hagiography in a conversation.  Brava!  :) 

6 hours ago, Rue said:

That cleavage is aggressive if you ask me. 

Today's funny:

Went to the drive-through. Ordered my coffee and because I was really hungry...

"...a breakfast croissant sandwich with bacon."

"Will that be on an English muffin or on a bagel?"

:mellow:

I think one of my bacon slices looked like an Amati....:rolleyes:

I had a piece of toast come out with Strad's portrait on it.  Could have had a Strad-Amati bacon sandwich by the poolside.  Ah, the good life.  ^_^

On 7/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, Rue said:

What are they supposed to look like? (A series of photos with arrows and annotations might be helpful)

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

What are they supposed to look like? (A series of photos with arrows and annotations might be helpful)

If you don't know by now... :rolleyes: :)

I have a link actually...

However - those of the Venus de Milo are considered ideal...

You guys are hilarious.  I've been on a Rachel Barton-Pine kick lately (new awesome album of Bach's Sonatas & Partitas) so here is a little bit of trivia although most of you probably know this.  She grew up very poor, with a constantly unemployed father,  and from interviews it seems she became the breadwinner in her family very early. Very early, like 10. Everything bad that has happened to her, and there has been a lot of bad,  she turned into positive, always depending on her strong faith to get her through. So many in her position would have given up. She moonlights as a death metal musician. 

I like musician trivia,  and I hope someone has more. Either way,  this thread is the tits. 

The Boston Symphony was the first American orchestra to have a 52 week season.  This was in about 1963, when many major orchestras had seasons of 30-35 weeks.  Some had additional summer work, of course.  A midwestern orchestra might pay about $140-160 a week.  Amazing that there were so many good violins in some of them, but you could get a Pressenda for under $4,000.

13 hours ago, not telling said:

I like musician trivia,  and I hope someone has more. Either way,  this thread is the tits. 

What's your opinion of the ones in the painting? The angel seems to be quite interested. Or is that some ordinary guy with a bird sitting on his shoulder?

(It's never good to confuse a pirate with a parrot, with an angel)

43 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What's your opinion of the ones in the painting? The angel seems to be quite interested. Or is that some ordinary guy with a bird sitting on his shoulder?

Don't mess with the parrot! :angry:

To connect two previous posts - the oldest orchestra in the US is the Handel and Haydn Society in Boston, which was so named because they performed the old classics and the new stuff (Handel and Haydn) in 1815

On 7/18/2017 at 0:35 PM, David Burgess said:

I wonder what breast implants were made out of in the 17th century.  Sheep bladder?  Whale oil?  The pirate clearly has his eyes trained on the scroll, however, which I'm sure can be just as beguiling. I like looking at scolls a lot more than I like looking at tits, and I spend much more time looking at scrolls than I do looking at tits now, so I should know.

I like a lot of the St. Cecilia icons. I wanted to name my daughter Cecilia, but that ended up being the middle name.<_< 

One thing that the painting Addie offered shows, is that artists are not likely to be able to draw the saints themselves, so they have to settle on whichever models are willing to pose for them.  And artists probably prefer more down-to-earth and available members of their immediate circles.  So the poor artist is at the mercy of whatever earthly charms his models possess.  :)

I had a rather sh*tty 24 hours.

The young dog pee'd on the carpet last night - about 15 minutes after I had just let her in from the backyard. No warning - just calm and unconcerned. She was very surprised that I strenuously objected. Nothing I like better than soaking up urine right before bed.

Then I was up several times throughout the night to let the big dog out. She was having tummy troubles. Since it was raining and she doesn't like to get her feet wet she opted to empty her bowels (several times) on the patio. I got to clean that first thing in the morning before work.

After work I thought I might clean out the outhouse. It rarely gets used but it is handy to have. After I pried the door open (humidity ;) ) I was horrified to discover a putrifying dead animal of some kind. Between that (dead has a very distinct odour) and the gazillion forest tent caterpillar cocoons in there I was discouraged. Wasn't quite up for dealing with my own backyard horror scene. I pushed the door closed and carefully retreated.

I almost stepped on a chipmunk on the way back to the house and then just missed stepping on a toad when I put the chicken to bed. Between them...the foxes and all the birds - it's like Redwall out there.

I wish I could compose better...I am sure there's a fiddle tune in all that.

The Dead Diarrhea Stain Reel...

On 7/19/2017 at 3:04 PM, Will L said:

One thing that the painting Addie offered shows, is that artists are not likely to be able to draw the saints themselves, so they have to settle on whichever models are willing to pose for them.  And artists probably prefer more down-to-earth and available members of their immediate circles.  So the poor artist is at the mercy of whatever earthly charms his models possess.  :)

Rubens did very well with what was available. :)

10 hours ago, Rue said:

The young dog pee'd on the carpet last night - about 15 minutes after I had just let her in from the backyard. No warning - just calm and unconcerned. She was very surprised that I strenuously objected. Nothing I like better than soaking up urine right before bed.

Then I was up several times throughout the night to let the big dog out. She was having tummy troubles. Since it was raining and she doesn't like to get her feet wet she opted to empty her bowels (several times) on the patio. I got to clean that first thing in the morning before work.

After work I thought I might clean out the outhouse. It rarely gets used but it is handy to have. After I pried the door open (humidity ;) ) I was horrified to discover a putrifying dead animal of some kind. Between that (dead has a very distinct odour) and the gazillion forest tent caterpillar cocoons in there I was discouraged. Wasn't quite up for dealing with my own backyard horror scene. I pushed the door closed and carefully retreated.

I almost stepped on a chipmunk on the way back to the house and then just missed stepping on a toad when I put the chicken to bed. Between them...the foxes and all the birds - it's like Redwall out there.

What a marvelously accurate slice of life on the farm, and possibly the most uniquely remarkable post I've seen on MN!  But, alas, no photos. :lol:

12 hours ago, Rue said:

This could be rather a good rap, than a fiddle tune. Feel a rhythm and try rapping...:)