Dan2

Top ridge of the Saddle

Does anyone know if the top ridge of the saddle is at the centre of the width?  Is it perhaps closer to the bridge side?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dan2 said:

Does anyone know if the top ridge of the saddle is at the centre of the width?...

You will have to specify which saddle you are asking about, because the location is different on different saddles.

Saddles  come in a varietyof styles, depending on the workshop where they were made. Modern saddles raise the tailpiece above the level of the front to a greater or lesser degree. The face can be angled as one chooses, as long as the saddle is stable, and not apt to be pulled forward off the block. 

I choose to make mine fairly upright at the front, and I shape the saddle so that the pressure of the gut pushes it into the mortise.

Ok..thanks so far.  Attached here is a photo of the saddle.  It has a straight slope at the back - presumably about 60 degrees.  I will make the crest about 18mm across and shape it further of course, leaving the top of the crest about 3.5mm above the top of the plate.  If I continue filing the curved side around and bring it down in height, the crest will be more towards the bridge I guess.

WP_20170717_007.jpg

I'm not sure what this type of saddle is called (came from my local luthier who bought it in from somewhere else) but I see some conflicting directions in relation to the saddle generally. For example my book says ridge at centre of the width whereas other info suggests closer to the bridge. Perhaps it doesn't matter or there is no ideal position....do members generally agree that it is really just a matter of personal preference?

34 minutes ago, Dan2 said:

I'm not sure what this type of saddle is called (came from my local luthier who bought it in from somewhere else) but I see some conflicting directions in relation to the saddle generally. For example my book says ridge at centre of the width whereas other info suggests closer to the bridge. Perhaps it doesn't matter or there is no ideal position....do members generally agree that it is really just a matter of personal preference?

Dan2 make sure your saddle is not real tight on the sides or it can cause saddle cracks when the top shrinks ;)

I do it with the ridge moved somewhat to tailpiece, but the important thing is that the cable rests on the saddle with a smooth, continuous curve, without angularity or sudden curve changes especially at the ridge (just like a string on the nut) to distribute evenly and in the right direction the pressure (as rightly stated by others posts).

Thanks so much everyone for the helpful advice.  I have "gone for it" after enough (?) procrastination and finished it off as best I can. Photo attached.   Not exactly as I hoped but I haven't gone below 3.5 in height which I am happy about.  Davide - probably a bit crisp at the crest but I think the crest has ended up slightly tailpiece side.  The ebony does stain doesn't it!  I can now appreciate more the advice I read somewhere to varnish before fitting the saddle to protect the fresh wood of the belly etc.  No end of sanding and scraping etc. seems to make it budge.  Carl, thanks for the tip about the gap.  I ended up running a small saw blade down each side of the saddle.  The blade is a little under .3mm thick.   Anyhow, now for the neck fitting and fingerboard.  

WP_20170717_009.jpg

On 7/17/2017 at 5:53 AM, Dan2 said:

Thanks so much everyone for the helpful advice.  I have "gone for it" after enough (?) procrastination and finished it off as best I can. Photo attached.   Not exactly as I hoped but I haven't gone below 3.5 in height which I am happy about.  Davide - probably a bit crisp at the crest but I think the crest has ended up slightly tailpiece side.  The ebony does stain doesn't it!  I can now appreciate more the advice I read somewhere to varnish before fitting the saddle to protect the fresh wood of the belly etc.  No end of sanding and scraping etc. seems to make it budge.  Carl, thanks for the tip about the gap.  I ended up running a small saw blade down each side of the saddle.  The blade is a little under .3mm thick.   Anyhow, now for the neck fitting and fingerboard.  

WP_20170717_009.jpg

Look nice Dan2 can't wait to see it finished, just take your time.

That looks really nice. Is the slot for the saddle a little too tight? I have no idea, which is why I am asking - being too tight has been said to potentially result in top cracks, so I was wondering is this what "okay" looks like, or is this a little too tight?