Nick Allen

Rotary ball gouge?

Sure would bolster the argument for drilling depth gauge holes in a plate before taking this power scorp thing to it.  Especially the spruce...Maybe they'll make a whole range of sizes and we can use it for scroll carving!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Maybe they'll make a whole range of sizes and we can use it for scroll carving!  :lol:

Maybe a spindle router would be better for scrolls?

It would certainly work. Doesn't seem to be aggressive at all. Almost to the point of being ineffective. Not sure a large, well sharpened gouge wouldn't be better.

THIS is what I use to graduate cello backs. A hoof trimmer! Who'd of thought?  Not aggressive and makes very nice, smooth cuts. I don't find tools of this sort necessary for tops, (or for violins and violas), but there is a lot of hard-ass wood to throw away in a cello back

4 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I agree with argle. Seems like a big enough and sharp enough gouge could hog a plate just as quick if not quicker.

I agree too. This seems to be a tool more for mincing about, than aggressive material removal. The "chainsaw" wheels in an angle grinder can do much better, and so can a sharp gouge, at least on spruce.

I probably can't rough out a cello back as quickly as someone with one of the chainsaw wheels, but I'd be willing to give it a try, as long as emergency medical intervention is standing by. :D

I recently had one of those work changing experiences. You know, the kind where you step back and say what the f**k have I been doing all this time?! I had a nice buck bros. gouge for some time, and finally got around to making a handle for it. A long handle. Burgess style.

P1010677.thumb.jpg.c1360c3b885aa5f41388712a8e28d709.jpg

P1010679.thumb.jpg.0dd8bb2023252511b1b32c22289a8dd5.jpg

Wow. It totally changed the speed which I could arch and graduate a cello. To the point of just stepping back and shaking my head at all those wasted hours. The handle was just a couple of components from Lowes. Cheap. So go make yourself one!

Did you make a string ferrule for that? I just turned a nice long handle for my arching gouge, and am having trouble finding a ferrule that's the right size. Is the string and CA glue good for that?

It's a socket gouge, so I fit the handle to the socket, glued them together with epoxy, then wrapped with the cord and epoxy the cord. It feels very secure.

Hi All - if you open that Hus violin maker clip and freeze it at 3m23 you can see a high speed stock removal weapon in action. I especially like those long slicing cuts.

cheers edi