Sign in to follow this  
trey

5ths Out of Tune on 1/10 size cello

Hello,

I have a 1/10 size cello in my shop and the 5ths are out of tune across the fingerboard.  For example, with all open strings perfectly tuned I play a B on the A string perfectly in tune, then an E on the D string and it is significantly sharp; next an A on the G string which is in tune, and the D on the C string is 1/2 step flat.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Edited by trey

1 hour ago, trey said:

Hello,

I have a 1/10 size cello in my shop and the 5ths are out of tune across the fingerboard.  For example, with all open strings perfectly tuned I play a B on the A string perfectly in tune, then an E on the D string and it is significantly sharp; next an A on the G string which is in tune, and the D on the C string is 1/2 step flat.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

I picked up this same problem on cheap Chinese violins. There, it was the strings.

Starting with 4/4 specs from Goldblatt cello specs I deduced the 1/10th size neck length down to 213.5 mm.  Is that the length of the cello neck there?  211 to 214 mm would probably be o.k., imo.

Thank you... It was the strings.  I put the old strings back on and the fifths are in tune.  I did this several times and the new strings definitely caused the problem.  Strings for 1/10 size cello are very hard to find.  The strings I used were Dogal.  Can anyone recommend another brand?

32 minutes ago, trey said:

Thank you... It was the strings.  I put the old strings back on and the fifths are in tune.  I did this several times and the new strings definitely caused the problem.  Strings for 1/10 size cello are very hard to find.  The strings I used were Dogal.  Can anyone recommend another brand?

Glad it's sorted. Strings are going to be a problem. I bought off ebay and some of them were good enough. But then a 1/10 doesn't make much sound anyway. Here's an example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nickel-Wound-Cello-Strings-1-10-Cello-String-For-Acoustic-Cello-1-10-Size-Cello-/222453638365

You might try a very high tension viola set but I doubt.