Guido

HOPF - yet again

Guido   

I'm in two minds on price. As you pay more, the likelihood increases that you get something decent. However, the risk increases, too, because an expensive dog is a real loss.

For instance, spending 2,000-3,000 Euro with our friends from Portugal would be really stupid!

A cheap dog on the other hand can probably be sold for the same price again. If I buy 200-300 Euro Hopfs on German ebay I might be wasting my time but probably not my money. The chances of getting lucky? 100 : 0?

I haven't settled on a strategy yet. For now, I'll just try to learn all I can about Hopf and see as many references as possible - both the good and the bad.

Rue   

MN is wonderfully educational! :)

I am very glad that I managed to satisfy my "cheap violin acquisition urge" with very few instruments - and I know exactly what they all are.  Maybe not as mysterious that way, but much less frustrating at the end of the day. ^_^

deans   

One of the problems with the "Hopfs" and similar 19th century Saxons is the variability in dimensions, especially with necks/stop length. Even ones that are reasonably good looking and sound OK might have a neck that's too short, long, thin, bad angle etc.  If you buy on line you will probably miss these issues.

Guido   

I have to be brave and assume my wife won't read this.

The one below is on its way to me. It has the original neck and will be my baroque instrument, or so is the plan.

Age and maker are not clear, there is no label. Could be David Christian senior or junior and around 1800 +/-. The seller had it described as pre 1800.

I hope it makes a worthy addition to the Hopf-thread for now while I'm waiting for it to arrive.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

deans   
10 hours ago, Guido said:

I hope it makes a worthy addition to the Hopf-thread for now while I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I think it will make a great period instrument. Not quite  "baroque" but a good representative of ~1800 period. Looks like its in spectacular shape, not unlike the Oster example, rare to find them this clean.

Guido   
On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, GeorgeH said:

This might interest you:

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2198667264&cpid=3484565504&filter_key=4a508f37c390b6ff25c931321c8ec316

Certified in 1949 by Wurlitzer as "made by a member of the Hopf family" c. 1820-1830. 

I'm glad I asked. Tarisio would want $800 shipping for one violin. That's over 10 times what I would have reasonably expected. T2 is not an option for me.