Sign in to follow this  
Florian

japanese ebay finger planes

What holds the blade in position??? Every other plane that I've seen has a friction wedge, screw tightened wedge, or some other mechanism, to hold the blade in place, and allow you to drift it back and forth. It looks like this is just held in place by friction in the slot. If that's the case, I could see the slot getting pretty loose before too long. I have some like these, that were recommended by someone at a workshop that I was attending. They're actually quite good, with good steel blades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Violin-tool-Brass-Plane-tool-luthier-tools-violin-Special-Yinfente-brand-/253027721806?hash=item3ae9a0a24e:g:HL8AAOSwXXxZS7l-

The blades are held by friction in the slot. If you use this type of plane you need be prepared to adjust the blade fit now and then, which might include gluing a thin wood shaving to the blade bed. I have a few similar but slightly larger Japanese planes from other manufacturers that work reliably. They would be difficult, and therefore not recommended for an inexperienced worker.

4 hours ago, Florian said:

Has anyone tried these finger planes from ebay? they look pretty nice to my untrained eye at least. I see that this seller has a normal type and a "high quality" version.

I have some like FiddleDoug posted and they worked great, the only thing is you have to wrap something around the long blade thats sticking up so you don't get a blister, I saw someone who made wooden palm hands to fit his. like this picture but for a different thumb plane. 

P3090143.JPG

5 hours ago, FrankNichols said:

Oooo, sounds like a challenge :)

Save yourself the headache - get an ibex one. Or if that is too costly, some chinese copies are not half bad either.

7 hours ago, Stavanger said:

Save yourself the headache - get an ibex one. Or if that is too costly, some chinese copies are not half bad either.

I was just being silly, I quit taking up challenges like that ages ago - too many windmills and not enough heroes...

And yeah, I ordered a cheap Chinese knock off of the iBex to see if they are usable. And of course immediately got told off on a plane forum I frequent for not buying American - you just can't win - :)

6 hours ago, FrankNichols said:

I was just being silly, I quit taking up challenges like that ages ago - too many windmills and not enough heroes...

And yeah, I ordered a cheap Chinese knock off of the iBex to see if they are usable. And of course immediately got told off on a plane forum I frequent for not buying American - you just can't win - :)

When buying American means spending upwards of $150 for a small piece of brass comparable to a $6 pipe fitting in both materials and machining, I think you can justify buying Chinese here lol.

15 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

When buying American means spending upwards of $150 for a small piece of brass comparable to a $6 pipe fitting in both materials and machining, I think you can justify buying Chinese here lol.

I agree with you, but I don't think there are any American option for thumb planes - maybe some individual some place, but I don't know of any American manufactures. I can say much m ore about it, since I feel fairly strongly about this area of politics and that is off limits on this form, which I am very happy about - so nice to have a forum that politics are NOT allowed in.

I also bought some of the Chinese planes, and whatever the steel is it's hard as rocks and almost impossible to burn on my belt grinder. I'm very fond of them, overall, and the price was certainly right. I got these because I liked the handles: http://m.ebay.com/itm/new-3-pcs-Brass-Plane-luthier-tool-violin-Maker-tool-convex-bottom-yinfente-118-/263054036962?hash=item3d3f3e0fe2%3Ag%3AI84AAOSwA29Y3ic6&_trkparms=pageci%3A93894c43-64bb-11e7-b401-74dbd1809a0a%7Cparentrq%3A27f9725b15d0a88a8ddbab46ffeb0608%7Ciid%3A17

I think I'd wear the sole on a wooden finger plane pretty fast. My brass ones have shown some wear over the years, but they hold up well, and there's enough material there for reshaping if and when the time comes that it's needed.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:10 PM, DoorMouse said:

They remind me of the planes they use in these competitions.. 
No set screw or wedge, just braced by hand. 

Those planes are indeed wedged. But the difference is that the super thick iron tapers pretty aggressively, acting as its own cap or wedge or what have you.

I think on some models there is a cap for the iron.

Sometimes, there is no cross pin, just tapered mortises on the inside edges where the wedge/iron fits. 

On 7/9/2017 at 0:10 PM, DoorMouse said:

They remind me of the planes they use in these competitions.. 
No set screw or wedge, just braced by hand. 

I have watched some of those competitions, that is just rude and disgusting. They should not be allowed to do that in public and make people like me so envious!

I have been looking for some thumb planes and a while back someone pointed me at some Chinese thumb planes on eBay. I don't want to spend what iBex wants until I know what I want for SURE.

Well, the ones I got are certainly cheap ($12 ea). They arrived quickly, within days, all the way from China! They were obviously manually packed in bubble wrap and ziplock bags and taped together cardboard.

I examined them and they had all the right parts but had not been finished at all - all the surfaces had machine marks, all the edges were sharp enough to cut you and/or your work. It felt very uncomfortable to hold because of the sharp edges and corners. The cutters looked good and felt sharp, so that was good.

I have attached some before and after photos from my cleaning up the large one tonight, I will do the rest tomorrow. You can see the machine marks on the outside, bottom and edges in the before photos.

I rounded all the edges and filed down the pointed cuts and corners. I smoothed out all the machine marks with 320 abrasive paper, then used 1200. I then finished thethe outside and inside with a wool drum on my dremel using green polish. I might get some finer grade jewelry polish later and refine the outside a little, but it doesn't look bad as it is. I didn't bother getting all the machine marks out of the inside, I think it looks okay with them there.

I flattened the cutter on my duosharp diamond stone and touched up the bevel a little. I have never put a curved edge on a cutter before, so I need to practice that a bit and revisit this - but it works for now. The cutter was mostly flat, but the duosharp pointed out the dips and sways like they were hills and valleys, so I worked it down flat on both top and bottom.

Attached are some photo's of the before and after. Personally I am very happy with these cheapo thumb planes. They are certainly rough to start with, but with a little work (about 45 minutes on the large one) they clean up nicely. I think they look nice and feel very supple, smooth and pleasant to hold.

I included an end grain shot of the lathe bench I was working on today when they arrived. It is all repurposed 2x4's from around the shop and garage, most of it is quite old, there were tags on some of the boards from the mill dated 1905... I didn't see any point in burning them when they just needed a bit of TLC and cleaning up. Oh, and that is my little thrift store Dunlap #4 plane wannabe on the bench, my first ever plane, and love of my life. Small, but of my planes I grab it first most of the time.

LatheBenchTopx.png

ThumbPlaneSetx.png

LargeThumbPlaneBeforeTopx.png

LargeThumbPlaneBottomBeforex.png

LargeThumbPlaneApartAfterx.png

LargeThumbPlaneTopAfterx.png

LargeThumbPlaneAfter1x.png

LargeThumbPlaneAfter2x.png

LargeThumbPlaneAfter3x.png

1 hour ago, FrankNichols said:

I have been looking for some thumb planes and a while back someone pointed me at some Chinese thumb planes on eBay. I don't want to spend what iBex wants until I know what I want for SURE.

I order these and just recieved them today, 1 1/4  they or perfect, now to cut a slot to fit the blade, so the plane does not make blisters in my hand any more!

Wood BALL Drawer Pull Knobs

s-l500.jpg

9 hours ago, FrankNichols said:

Well, the ones I got are certainly cheap ($12 ea). They arrived quickly, within days, all the way from China! They were obviously manually packed in bubble wrap and ziplock bags and taped together cardboard.

I examined them and they had all the right parts but had not been finished at all - all the surfaces had machine marks, all the edges were sharp enough to cut you and/or your work. It felt very uncomfortable to hold because of the sharp edges and corners. The cutters looked good and felt sharp, so that was good.

I did just what Frank did with his.  I added more curve to mine, both sideways and lengthwise to get 5 distinct curves.  The only thing I added was to swap the blades for Japan Woodworker blades.  It meant that I had to do quite a bit of filing to get them to fit, but the results are worth it.  

Now to find some bolts with bigger heads on them.  Those little ones are hard to get tight.  No, I'm not going to use vise grips.  I'm civilized.

Hah,

Ken

14 minutes ago, Ken_N said:

Now to find some bolts with bigger heads on them.  Those little ones are hard to get tight.  No, I'm not going to use vise grips.  I'm civilized.

ABSOLUTELY! Those tiny knobs and my big grubby fingers don't get along! :) That was my first thought when I finished it.

31 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Does the knob not push the blade around while you work?

I have not tried them yet , but you bring up a good point, knob here more used to stop the blade from from giving you a blister. 

I put a little (rough nech) wood knob on one of my chinese planes. I also had to file the edges where I keep my fingers a bit, but otherwize a good plane. Have never experenced that the know would dislocate the iron like suggested above. It sits firmly in.

IMG_7675.JPG

IMG_7678.PNG

23 minutes ago, Stavanger said:

I put a little (rough nech) wood knob on one of my chinese planes. I also had to file the edges where I keep my fingers a bit, but otherwize a good plane. Have never experenced that the know would dislocate the iron like suggested above. It sits firmly in.

Thanks Stavanger, Good to know