Maestronet Forums

Pseudonyms

MaestronetLurker

On 7/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, not telling said:

Anyway, I prefer semi-anonymity, that's all I meant to say. Don't worry about me. :)

Well, here's the future plan when yourself and I end up fishing the same fishing hole at the new plant at the dam on the same day and you hear someone yell out Uncle Duke or similar - you toss a rock my way without hitting me and when I turn to look you just wave so I know it's you. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/11/2017 at 11:09 AM, Mike_Danielson said:

It all gets down to credibility.  Anonymous sources have no credibility. 

If I was the monitor of this site, there would be no anonymous members allowed to post.

Mike D

Now you can dis me to my face :P - I'm still not telling.

danny-harp.jpg

2 hours ago, cheapjack said:

Now you can dis me to my face :P - I'm still not telling.

danny-harp.jpg

If you shaved more diligently in various places (most noticeable is the upper lip, second is the right knee), and were more of an artist at makeup application, you might come across as kinda hot around a bar at closing time, (depending on how much everyone has had to drink). :P:)

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

If you shaved more diligently in various places (most noticeable is the upper lip, second is the right knee), and were more of an artist at makeup application, you might come across as kinda hot around a bar at closing time, (depending on how much everyone has had to drink). :P:)

This is the closest I have ever been to non-anonymity, and look what happens - I get hit on. But I hope I actually made a point about who anonymous posters may be - you just have to ignore the avatar and read the text. BTW I left WAY before closing time. This was my Medieval performance costume and babe magnet.

The harp strings are connected directly to the harp's soundboard.  The strings have low impedance and the relatively massive soundboard has a high impedance. The large impedance mismatch causes a low rate of energy transfer from the vibrating string to the soundboard and as a result the plucked harp notes ring for a long time.

A violin (guitar, banjo, and others) has a intermediate impedance--the bridge, which increases the rate of energy transfer from the string to the violin body.  This makes the bowed notes louder and the plucked notes also louder but they have a much shorter ring.

The bare right knee is just a distraction of what's really going on here.

23 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Keep the stash as is...I think a fumanchu and wife beater shirt might be more of a chick killer.

Probably true. Got some attention wearing "wife-beater" shirts over the years, but when the gals eventually discovered that I wasn't actually a beater (or anything remotely close), they'd unceremoniously dump me. :(

Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't. :lol:

On 7/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

Never occurred to me to post under a pseudonym but now realize airing one's ignorance about anything has potential repercussions. On the other hand people who know my reputation understand there is a lot that I do know and pretending to know what you don't  is the quickest possible way not to learn.  

I think it useful to  know the training etc. of posters who use their own names because it helps me  know how to evaluate the information. If Burgess talks making I listen, likewise Holmes on restoration or  Carlson or Saunders on Identification. I accept the thoughts of Chris Reuning on history, esthetics and ID of violins as being highly valuable but when he wants to know about cello making he is sometimes the one asking me.  I am also able, in time, to identify pseudonym users who seem to know what they are talking about but it remains less clear if they are speaking from their own experience or are sharing second hand information which can be misleading if that takes the form of confirming opinions of others of which I am trying to asses the value.  

Lastly because the levels of expertise of forum participants varies greatly there is a danger that less experienced members would not be able to separate wheat from chaff and may be sent down unadvisable or even dangerous paths by people pretending more experience than they have.

Having said all that I find this forum quite useful just as it is. Entertaining. provocative, Informative and at times amusing. 

This pretty well sums up my thoughts (except I did use a pseudonym). I do have a harder time figuring out how much credibility an anonymous poster has simply because you usually have less information to go on, however, there are many on here who have no web presence and are not widely known. Real names are most useful for higher profile, well established professionals. 

My conclusion is that my anxiety over using my real name is not well founded. I don't see anyone saying that posting publicly has caused them any real problems in this field as was described by someone earlier (a veterinarian?). I won't directly link this account to the other, and probably won't get to it for a couple weeks. I'll just open a fresh account and check if I can have email notices if anyone PM or quotes the old account, so I don't inadvertently ignore someone. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:21 AM, romberg flat said:

My name is Romberg, Romberg Flat :ph34r: ... and I shall leave my hat on :lol:

When this movie was in theaters I was about 17 years old, and was at the movie theatre with my girlfriend. Our movie was sold out, so we had to make a quick decision without knowing anything about the other movies. I saw the title "The Full Monty" and said "Probably a Monty Python Movie. Sounds good." When we sat down I noticed my parents were 2 rows ahead of me, and the movie was not at all what I expected. When my mother stood up at the end of the movie and saw me sitting a couple seats behind her she just about fell over. She said her first thought when the movie ended was "I'm so glad we didn't bring the kids." (although she did find it funny) Then she stands up and sees me there. Funny movie, though. A little awkward with your teenage girlfriend and sitting right behind your parents.