Sign in to follow this  
JGViolin

V.C. Squire Violin

I recently aquired a 4/4 violin with a label in it: Imported German Violin, Regraduated and Adjusted, V.C. Squire, Battle Creek MI, 1897. It is in excellent condition and has a sweet sound.  I wanted to know if anyone has an idea where in Germany it may have originated from? Thanks!

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Edited by JGViolin
Corrections.

0Those are Dominants with vision solo e. 

To the op question, most likely from the Markneukirchen area, but just because of the numbers. Some here might have a bit more knowledge about this particular violin. 

Thomastik Rhondo Steel Strings are being played on them now, but I have the original Squires Steel set that came with the violin. Thanks, and yes I hope I can get some more info about the Violin.

Edited by JGViolin
Correction

On 6/30/2017 at 4:13 PM, JGViolin said:

I recently aquired a 4/4 violin with a label in it: Imported German Violin, Regraduated and Adjusted, V.C. Squire, Battle Creek MI, 1897.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

If you're quoting the label accurately, this information from Wikipedia may be relevant:

Modern two-letter abbreviated codes for the states and territories originated in October 1963, with the issuance of Publication 59: Abbreviations for Use with ZIP Code, three months after the Post Office introduced ZIP codes in July 1963. 

You brought up a good point.  It says "Battle Creek, Mich." Thanks, my mistake in original post.

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

Edited by JGViolin
Correction.

The violin would have been imported from the Markneukirchen Region. The VSA Journal from winter 78/79 has an excelent in depth article about the Sqiers, father and son, which I posted as PDF here

Interesting! I do not see the PDF attachment, Perhaps I am not looking in correct area. Also, this V.C. Squire Violin does not have a number on it like I believe V.C and  his father J.B. put a number on violins made in the U.S., yet this one does not have one I think because it was imported from Germany as perhaps a complete violin? I also believe that the violin was hand made, but I am by far no expert.

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

Edited by JGViolin
Addition of photos.