Sign in to follow this  
saintjohnbarleycorn

ponal glue

I don't think that there are any. In Germany it is the standard glue sold in hardware stores - bowmakers use it for a lot of things.  Everywhere else you probably have to use an online supplier.

Ed

What application are you using this for Kev? Weldbond dries clear and is waterproof. It may work good for you and I have used it to glue plateglass to plywood. Very strong. If you need more flexibility then I would try Smith's epoxy.

Although you should not use this for ANY violin related activities, I , with regret, suggest Amazon. I drone will drop it on your front porch.

19 minutes ago, Mike Spencer said:

What's different about this brand of white glue as opposed to brands that are available in the US?

It is similar, but seems a bit stickier.  It can be used to stick ivory to pernambuco or silver to ebony which I don't think works so well with the usual white glues. 

Don't use a chemical glue for the strings instruments never ever

don't use any kind of plastic glue , that will restrict the vibration which will mute the sound wave 

hide glue is good for vibration , like the old vintage drums or gut string which has resonance sound 

3 hours ago, mood2000 said:

Don't use a chemical glue for the strings instruments never ever

don't use any kind of plastic glue , that will restrict the vibration which will mute the sound wave 

hide glue is good for vibration , like the old vintage drums or gut string which has resonance sound 

We still don't know what the intended application is for...pva glue is used on some nice sounding acoustic guitars...doesn't seem to hurt their tone.

11 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

We still don't know what the intended application is for...pva glue is used on some nice sounding acoustic guitars...doesn't seem to hurt their tone.

Ditto. As far as I know, PVA type wood glues are more or less the standard for guitars. There are also a few limited uses for bowed instrument parts.

Ponal here is the usual common or garden white glue, that you can buy in any supermarket/garden centre or similar. It is manufactured by Henkel, which I had always thought was some American multi-national, so it seems curious that anyone could wish to Import it to the US. In pre-historic times when I lived in England, the english equivalent was called „Resin-W“. I always use it to glue the E-String parchment onto bridges. It seems vindictive of Henkel to deprive Americans of such basic stuff. Perhaps you could write to Henkels American headquarters and ask if they have an American name for it?

If Ponal is the garden variety then there should be similar white PVAs that are available here in the US. Try Franklin they make a variety of adhesives and several of those are in the white PVA family, I might suggest Assembly 65 for what you are using it for, it's a little thicker and stickier, we use it at my day job (custom furniture mfg.).

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Ponal glue? That's not glue made from cute little ponies, is it? :o

I'm sure they would make some out of sheep for you, if you asked politely

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I'm sure they would make some out of sheep for you, if you asked politely

I might like that. Is it coincidence that gut-core strings are mostly made from sheepgut, and gen-yew-wine cat gut seems to have never been used?

Over on our side of the pond, some of our more pressing controversies are over the culling of deer overpopulations (what if you accidentally kill Bambi, the Disney cartoon heroine?),

And "them danged Russians", which has always enjoyed popularity over here, at least as long as I've been around. From the time I first attended school, we practiced taking cover under our desks, in preparation for the anticipated Soviet Union nuclear attack, as if taking cover under your desk would do anything very useful, in a nuclear attack, aside from outlying areas .If Jefferey thinks that is venturing too much into the realm of "politics", and deletes this post. I have no problem with that.

45 minutes ago, Ed Shillitoe said:

I'm packing for Oberlin.  I'll bring some Ponal in case anyone is interested.

Ed

Packing? I've gotten as far as purchasing a fresh stick of deodorant, and checking the air pressure in my tires. :D

Wednesday, I drove down to visit the violinmaking workshop. Didn't quite time it right for the pig roast on Thursday. Happened to be sitting next to Feng Jiang and Scott Cao over dinner, so we talked about lots of things.

Dang, what a great bunch of people! A few of them are even staying over for the restoration workshop.