Can anyone recommend a good Android phone violin tuner app?

On 29. 6. 2017 at 6:56 PM, WorksAsIntended said:

That is another kind of lack, there is a true sound lack. Isn't OSS usually not just emulated by ALSA on this architecture? I think OSS is deprechiated quite some time now. 

It is, at least from what I know. Yet, the Android's audio overview still mentions it (https://source.android.com/devices/audio/), so maybe there are devices that use OSS and not ALSA - no idea, never had to research it this deep myself.

2 minutes ago, DutchViolins said:

Because it's so true!
The human ear is the best instrument to recognize a real fifth.

I dont need to be convinced to tune by ear, I never did differently. As I wrote I use it when I forgot my tuning fork and I use it as frequency generator for the a. 

The pure number of devices to help tuning is a big evidence that its usefull to many. Also I would not be confident to hear better than some high precission aparatus. 

The only valid reason why hearing can get to more precission is that you can connect the bow pressure to the change in frequency. If you want to tune two perfectly stable frequencies to fiths modern devices will beat you with astronomical higher precission (not talking about smartphones anymore).

1 hour ago, WorksAsIntended said:

I dont need to be convinced to tune by ear, I never did differently. As I wrote I use it when I forgot my tuning fork and I use it as frequency generator for the a. 

The pure number of devices to help tuning is a big evidence that its usefull to many. Also I would not be confident to hear better than some high precission aparatus. 

I am a total noob (6 months and counting) and I use it for training my ear. I have no idea what notes sound like and I find that having the strobe running off to the side can help me recognize what a note in tune sounds like. I am up to mostly knowing when I am wrong, and working on sharp or flat. I am not even on the same planet when it comes to knowing which note I am playing yet. I don't sit and stare at it, I have it on the side and glance when I think I missed a note. It provides me with instant feedback so I can adjust and recognize it next time. I have been told not to do this, and learn to recognize the notes by ear, but without perfect pitch how does one learn without knowing when it is right, wrong and which way?

1 hour ago, WorksAsIntended said:

My violin teacher made me sing first to learn the tone. 

Yeah, I have read that I need to learn to sing the notes so I can visualize the sound and "hear" when it is right. Sigh. Some people have a 3 octave range with their voice, I have about a 3 note range. I need to sound proof my practice room better before I try that, or my wife will move out!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...