Sign in to follow this  
vathek

Can anyone recommend a good Android phone violin tuner app?

I use one called Tuning fork but it is iOS only. Surely there is one for Android?

Some apps give a visual readout of the tuning, and I bought Music Wrench (for iPad), which checks your playing, as well as open strings, for being in tune! However, I am not convinced it is more accurate than listening for tuning the A. For the other strings, if tuning to perfect fifths, it is harder to get it spot on with Music Wrench than by ear.

I have DaTuner Pro, it can do everything you need and some more, I still only use it when I forgot my tuning fork.  It has a huge list with tuning temperaments, I even found a few I didn't know before. Perfect fifths starting from a is available too. 

I prefer strobe tuners which show the harmonics. I use one for iOS and I am fairly sure it is available for Android, but it does cost $10. It is rated as one of the most accurate and highest satisfaction ratings. I am very happy with it, and I own a lot of tuners I have tried for my iPad and iPhone. I can not speak to the quality for Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.istrobosoft.tuner&hl=en

3 hours ago, WorksAsIntended said:

DaTuner Pro can do this too. 

I usually use only the playback for a though. 

I have an Android I don't use often, I will dig it out and use it as a tuner and give DaTuner a try. 

I tried DaTuner Pro and it works well, is responsive and provides the features I like. However, it is a little "distracting" with fast moving displays for me. I prefer a bit calmer. :)

Something that might be useful to know about Android is that there is built-in a lag of up to a quarter second that can prevent real-time audio.  It's worst when you need to listen and then output again as sound.  It's been a big complaint from developers since day 1 but is still there unless it's changed very recently.  There have been continual rumors that it would soon be fixed, also since day 1.

Actually I dont see it fixed for good reason. Android is also running on very weak hardware which should not stutter. So dont expect to much of an fix, the amount of work to be done for that is quite high. 

^It's known as issue #3434.   I think this is its offical bug fix request page that I bookmarked a long time ago, but you have to sign in to Google to read it now, so I'm not positive.  If it is, there are pages and pages and pages and pages going back years and years and...  

I encountered it one time when I thought I would make a free hearing aid for the poor using this common inexpensive hardware.  I got about halfway into it and was surprised to discover there was going to be an unavoidable 1/10 sec. delay; and when the original sound bleeds through, not to mention conflicting with lip reading, it's worse than just being deaf...

Issue 3434 - android - Add APIs for low-latency audio - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

2 hours ago, FrankNichols said:

I tried DaTuner Pro and it works well, is responsive and provides the features I like. However, it is a little "distracting" with fast moving displays for me. I prefer a bit calmer. :)

I can understand this. Its a bit strobo like.

Bill, I think as long as they are using ALSA (and I think they do?) there is no easy solution at this matter because it performs amazingly bad at low latency! To get rid of ALSA would be a tremendous amount of work, to fix it in this matter possibly not possible. Setting latency down to a low value on ALSA will cause stuttering on a lot of mobiles, I am pretty sure about this. Thats why I dont see it happening all to soon. I hope the best for people in need of it though!

54 minutes ago, uguntde said:

TotalEnergy Tuner. With this app you can even record the spectrogram of your fiddle. Used it for a long time and like it.

I can vouch for TotalEnergy, I had forgotten it, and it works well on iOS, so I had used it for a while. 

I'm playing around with gstrings and it seems like it will suit my needs but took a look at TonalEngergy tuner and that looks interesting too.

On 23. 6. 2017 at 6:53 PM, WorksAsIntended said:

Bill, I think as long as they are using ALSA (and I think they do?) there is no easy solution at this matter because it performs amazingly bad at low latency! To get rid of ALSA would be a tremendous amount of work, to fix it in this matter possibly not possible. Setting latency down to a low value on ALSA will cause stuttering on a lot of mobiles, I am pretty sure about this. Thats why I dont see it happening all to soon. I hope the best for people in need of it though!

ALSA may or may not be used on the specific Android device (ALSA stands for 'Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'), but the device in question can use OSS or a custom driver instead; so on top of the ALSA (or something different), Android has some additional abstraction layers.

But having programmed an Android tuner myself, I don't think that's actually the root cause of the lag - it's the length of the Fourier transform you have to use to have at least some reasonable precision for a chromatic tuner; in my testing some 0.3 - 0.4 s will give you results you can work with & present with a good confidence. But if you do strobe correctly, you don't have to wait nearly at all, you can present the results in a fraction of that, and give a much better precision at the same time.

I tried to post a link to my tuner here, but I guess it was deleted as spam - I don't see it here, and I apologize. But please let me at least mention it still - I have a pretty good strobe tuner there, or at least it works for my tuning needs really well :-)

Search for "violin tuner" in google play - the one from "A4tune Labs" is from me.