marie41782

violin I part for Tchaikovsky Overture

In the Violin I part for Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture,"

the 5th measure after letter E:

Are all the notes in this measure usually played on the E string?

What fingering pattern would you suggest?   

Thank you.

Edited by marie41782
wording

Are you talking about the C#, after you're already in 6th pos. to get the G?  I thing the reasonable thing is play the C# with the 4th on the A string.  If you reached back for the C# it would be D C# D, with one finger, not especially fast...

I could not find my copy with fingerings but looked at the imslp score. In my opinion going on the a string is an absolute no go here! Maybe ok for a school orchestra but in both bowing (optics) and sound aweful! 

Bar 119 (is this the right bar?) would be played by me as follows (a bit of Flesh style) 4321 2123 2121 2123. 

Here's how the LP Phil does it, around 2:46.  It looks to me like they're playing the main part of it in 5th and shifting up quickly on a half step somewhere to get the G then back to 5th.  If there's an easy fingering that skips the string crossing I'm all for it.  I don't remember every playing this but I'm sure I have.  I'm also sure I was hanging on for dear life :)

2 hours ago, WorksAsIntended said:

Wow, they are good!

They seem healthy and happy.  I noticed something interesting; after 2:46 the guy with white hair is holding his bow with it looks like thumb and one finger. 

Thank you to both for the posts regarding my question.

Here are the notes I am wondering about (starting at the last four notes of the 4th measure after letter E):

(B  C# D E), followed by (D C# B C#)    (D E F# G)    (F# E D C#)      (D E F# G)  

Does this change the fingering pattern?

Thank you.

sospiri   
11 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

They seem healthy and happy.  I noticed something interesting; after 2:46 the guy with white hair is holding his bow with it looks like thumb and one finger. 

He's the Dude. He could conduct just with his hair.

Not uncommon in those fast bowing passages, is it? I dont do it myself, but I have seen this a few times. If the bow is very vivid you can get a nice droplet sound like this.