1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

On new pegs and holes, I keep applying Ivory soap to the bearing area of the peg until it turns smoothly without any "ratcheting". This will usually leave it too slick, so then I add tiny amounts of powdered rosin until it feels "about right". After each application of powdered rosin to the peg, I twist it quickly in the pegbox to melt the rosin and combine it with the soap. But you'll need to let it cool before assessing.. it gets very warm from the viscous drag, and melting and distributing the rosin, and will operate differently at room temperature than it does warm.

Some of this will get pushed into the wood over time on a new instrument, so one may find several application are required over the first few days, weeks or months. After that, put a little soap on for more slippum, or a tiny bit of rosin for more stikkum, as needed.

How well does it work? Easy enough to try, see what you think. My primary goal was to avoid abrasive content. Can't say they're the best working pegs I've ever used... abrasives may hone the parts into a more perfect fit, or something along those lines. Or the abrasive may serve more as a bulking agent or viscosity improver,  the abrasive property serving  no purpose, just producing collateral damage.

A prior rather lengthy peg dope discussion: https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/315354-composition-of-peg-compound/&

I already tried it and worked 100% - better than the Hill paste by far. I mixed the soap with the rosin powder but from now on I'll just add one or the other. Thank you very much, worked nicely.

Re. peg fit : while I'm pretty much a butcher I pay attention to peg fit/finish etc. I think the wood involved matters because even with perfect fit I get stickiness. Fit matters but it's not everything. 

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Hahaha... "Just wrong".  You sound like some of my philosopher friends! :) 

You hang with philosopher types, Jeff?  That probably explains a lot, though I'm not sure what.  As in "I think I hang out with philosophers, therefore I am [fill in the blank]."  Now that I think about it, there is a it of the irascible existentialist about you.  Hey!  That could be a book title.  Something to work on at the lake.  Or maybe it's already been used by Anne Tyler.  There'd be no meeting of the minds quite like that of the Accidental Tourist and the Irascible Existentialist.  I think I've stepped through an online forum warp of some kind.  Someone help me find my way back to MN!

18 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

You hang with philosopher types, Jeff?  That probably explains a lot, though I'm not sure what.  As in "I think I hang out with philosophers, therefore I am [fill in the blank]."  Now that I think about it, there is a it of the irascible existentialist about you.  Hey!  That could be a book title.  Something to work on at the lake.  Or maybe it's already been used by Anne Tyler.  There'd be no meeting of the minds quite like that of the Accidental Tourist and the Irascible Existentialist.  I think I've stepped through an online forum warp of some kind.  Someone help me find my way back to MN!

:) !

21 minutes ago, carl stross said:

I already tried it and worked 100% - better than the Hill paste by far. I mixed the soap with the rosin powder but from now on I'll just add one or the other. Thank you very much, worked nicely.

Re. peg fit : while I'm pretty much a butcher I pay attention to peg fit/finish etc. I think the wood involved matters because even with perfect fit I get stickiness. Fit matters but it's not everything. 

Glad it worked for you Carl.  I've seen enough of them so I can say David's pegs work very nicely.

I think you'll probably get slightly less "stickiness" if you fit the pegs with an ever so slight (really slight) bias on the thick side (the small end being just a hair looser-but-engaged). I believe Melvin once mentioned that lute makers installed their pegs with a bit of perceptible slop on the small end.

47 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Bet had he known, Ahab would have wished to have one of those.  Pneumatic lift of course.:P

Hmmm.....  Wouldn't "Call me Jezebel" make a remarkable opening line for a novel?  :ph34r:

Or, "It was a dark and stormy thread..........."  :P

43 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

"I think I hang out with philosophers, therefore I am [fill in the blank]."

Confused.  The word is "confused". :lol:

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Glad it worked for you Carl.  I've seen enough of them so I can say David's pegs work very nicely.

I think you'll probably get slightly less "stickiness" if you fit the pegs with an ever so slight (really slight) bias on the thick side (the small end being just a hair looser-but-engaged). I believe Melvin once mentioned that lute makers installed their pegs with a bit of perceptible slop on the small end.

Thank you, Jeffrey - I'll get down to it. I did notice that tight at the small end makes them stick but I seem not to have finished the computation. :)

19 minutes ago, carl stross said:

Thank you, Jeffrey - I'll get down to it. I did notice that tight at the small end makes them stick but I seem not to have finished the computation. :)

Big trick from Matt Noykos via Triangle Strings .using the upper lip to feel for heat from turning the peg , let the large dia side be slightly warmer than the small end , keeps the bearing /friction end close to the handle , haven't had a bunch of problems with pegs since then. 

23 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

Big trick from Matt Noykos via Triangle Strings .using the upper lip to feel for heat from turning the peg , let the large dia side be slightly warmer than the small end , keeps the bearing /friction end close to the handle , haven't had a bunch of problems with pegs since then. 

That's clever. I can't say I felt anything but taking down the small ends just a hair made a very nice difference.