Roger Hargrave

Hargrave's imminent demise?

Aii kidding aside I have read and re-read the articles on Roger's web site.  They are among the very best information available anywhere, and he gave it to all of us for free.  I am very much in his debt.

DLB

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Shouldn't rub that yellow snow in your eyes, either. ;)

I've relocated a couple of "urban" wild animals to a more suitable location, just in the last two days. The relocation point is nicely wooded with a lake. We don't get many seals around here. Maybe a few beavers, which one of us midwest hillbilly-types could be forgiven for mistaking as a seal. Not everyone around here has a car capable of making it to the seashore and back. :lol:

Be sure you know what you're doing when you do that. In California, where I live, a law was passed some time ago requiring some trapped urban wildlife, raccoons for example, to be put down and not released in wild areas. The very good reason for this is that these animals can carry parasitic infections that can be transferred to areas that didn't already have them. It's not a decision for amateurs to make for instinctively humane reasons.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Roger, the Sequoias are in the Sierra Nevada mountains. And there's another species of Sequoias in the California coastal range mountains. They're extinct in the Rockies. 

Yes, and that is where we saw them. I got mixed up. Maybe cabin fever or one of those button mushrooms we ate in the desert. We also went to see the redwoods in Northern California. It was all too much. I just started thinking how many fiddles you could get from just one of those trees. I think I’ll write to Donald Trump. I am sure he is liberal minded enough about America’s natural habitat to let me chop one down.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:02 AM, Bill Merkel said:

Probably hard to disappear when you depend on your name.

Actually I don't have a smart phone and I've never owned one. Julie Reed-Yeboah was kind enough to lend me one for the trip. You really can't do much without one in the States. Flights and even truck stop hotels want a text or some form of electronic confirmation.   

Well I never expected that much reaction to my demise. Thank you all. But just to reiterate. That wood is NO longer mine I sold it some time ago. The guy who is making the sharp profit told me he was going to use it himself. I guess I'm just a soft touch and rather stupid for letting it go to someone who was clearly just interested in making a quick buck. Oh yes, and as far as I am aware, some of the wood being sold NEVER was in my collection.

8 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

That wood is NO longer mine I sold it some time ago. The guy who is making the sharp profit told me he was going to use it himself. I guess I'm just a soft touch and rather stupid for letting it go to someone who was clearly just interested in making a quick buck. Oh yes, and as far as I am aware, some of the wood being sold NEVER was in my collection.

Deepest sympathies.  That's disgusting. :(:angry:

I agree. That's quite reprehensible. 

Nothing one can though. Except maybe charge him with false advertiding...or fraud?

Hello everyone. I'm glad you've found T2's big blockbuster 600 lot wood sale! I thought it would be helpful to clarify some misinformation because there seems to be some confusion:

As you saw above, Roger is indeed alive and well and working as active as ever making new instruments. The wood in this sale was bought by Roger over many years, some of it from W. E. Hill & Sons in the 1970s and some from other sources. Roger purchased the wood intending to use some of it for his own making, some as an investment and some to use in the event that his son and daughter decided to enter the trade. About two years ago Roger sold this wood to the current owner who now offers it for sale at Tarisio. Neither Tarisio nor T2 own the wood but we're hoping that we're a good platform to sell it! 

If you have any questions, please let me know. We're viewing all the wood at the Westbury on June 25-26. Hope we can see many maestroneters there!

Florence

On 6/3/2017 at 8:25 PM, Roger Hargrave said:

Oh yes, and as far as I am aware, some of the wood being sold NEVER was in my collection.

46 minutes ago, T2-Auctions said:
 I thought it would be helpful to clarify some misinformation because there seems to be some confusion:

The wood in this sale was bought by Roger over many years, some of it from W. E. Hill & Sons in the 1970s and some from other sources.

Apparently not....

5 hours ago, T2-Auctions said:

(...)

Hello T2-Auctions. As far as misinformation concerned I guess you missed this post:

On 3.06.2017 at 8:25 PM, Roger Hargrave said:

Well I never expected that much reaction to my demise. Thank you all. But just to reiterate. That wood is NO longer mine I sold it some time ago. The guy who is making the sharp profit told me he was going to use it himself. I guess I'm just a soft touch and rather stupid for letting it go to someone who was clearly just interested in making a quick buck. Oh yes, and as far as I am aware, some of the wood being sold NEVER was in my collection.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll buy wood for free
And the world will be full of free violin and peace 

21 minutes ago, rossini said:

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll buy wood for free
And the world will be full of free violin and peace 

You can begin to give wood for free.I would take some:)

Well, I certainly miss the point. I have a whole room full of wood from my dad, much nicer than Rogers. If I were to sell it via T2, it would still be “wood from the collection of Wilf Saunders”, even though it belongs to me. Roger has always been good at moaning how hard done too he is, justified or not. Normally I am game for any Auctioneer-bashing, but I cannot see any fault here.

I think the point is, that he thinks additional wood has been added that he never owned but still gets sold as wood from his collection. 

If this is true it is a fraud imo. That the current owner sells it is his right, maybe he told a story to get it, maybe he just had to change plans. 

59 minutes ago, mendicus said:

You can begin to give wood for free.I would take some:)

I always s been a buyer and never sold any of my violin. But if you cannt afford martial I will provide + shipping and handling  :lol:

34 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If Roger can recognise every bit of wood he has ever had, I will be really impressed

I never wanted to state that this is the case. I cant judge without knowing anything about it. 

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Well, I certainly miss the point. I have a whole room full of wood from my dad, much nicer than Rogers. If I were to sell it via T2, it would still be “wood from the collection of Wilf Saunders”, even though it belongs to me. Roger has always been good at moaning how hard done too he is, justified or not. Normally I am game for any Auctioneer-bashing, but I cannot see any fault here.

Please let me know if ever you decide to sell some of that wood, Jacob! We'll keep the auctioneers out of it. 

Recognize every piece of wood?  Unlikely.

Have a record of how many pieces sold?  Likely.

"Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

C.S. Lewis

Good to know you're still in the land of the living, I wasn't sure.  I downloaded some info from your excellent website just in case.  Your website is a real asset to the violin making community.  

Looks like its Hargrave bashing time. And you and my old friend Jacob are at the front of the queue. Shame on you both, for kicking a poor man when he's down.

So let me clear up a few points. I have been very busy working on a major project which is the reason why I have ‘not been available’ for almost two years. Secondly, I have always been able to remember every piece of wood that I have ever owned. That’s because I am a maker, not a dealer or a restorer Jacob; it’s my livelihood to know. BUT, having said that, as Addie indicated, all of my wood was stamped and recorded as well. On some wedges I had even written which original violin that particular piece matched. My beef was not about it having not been my wood. My beef was about the fact that as of yesterday the advertising included the term ' as well as from other sources' giving the impression that the wood other sources was also from my workshop which is simply not true. But the worst is that I am still being asked if I have stopped working. And it is not just one or two people; I had twenty one e-mails yesterday alone.  The person that I sold it to was specifically asked not to give that impression. In fact he said he wanted to use it himself and was not planning to sell it.  

For those who know me this is not a problem but I have customers all over the world and the rumor is that I am retired or worse.  

But since I have also heard that both you and Jacob have also given up working maybe that’s not so bad???

15 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

But since I have also heard that both you and Jacob have also given up working maybe that’s not so bad???

Yeah, I have decided to only do it as a hobby