Electric violin plans

I would like to make an electric violin, but can find no plans on the net.  I realize that they can just about look any way you want them to, but I don't really want to design from scratch on a probable one time shot.  At least not from scratch.  Maybe just alter as I go.  Plus I have no idea about the electronics and how they are built in.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to look?

They're essentially a block of wood with a piezoelectric bridge, a pot and an output jack. I'd recommend studying electric guitar plans and deriving your own model. The Fender Telecaster is a great model for it's simplicity and it's mod friendly. 

6 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

They're essentially a block of wood with a piezoelectric bridge, a pot and an output jack. I'd recommend studying electric guitar plans and deriving your own model. The Fender Telecaster is a great model for it's simplicity and it's mod friendly. 

With all due respect, electric guitars are very different beasts. Electric violin must not be too heavy, at first. The second thing could be the way of capturing the vibrations - there is just a few electric violins using magnets. Etc.

In my modest experience with pick ups, the flexible ribbon piezo is the only one worth trying for pseudo acoustic instruments. It should be sandwiched between the bridge and the body and, usually, you can cut it to the correct length. To avoid undesirable vibrations on the piezo, the bridge base should cover its entire surface with no gaps, so a single foot bridge, not a standard violin bridge.

In my experience, every piezo transducer needs a preamp, not for amplification, but for the impedance matching. I have appropriate amp (Crate Acoustic) with 1 MOhm input, but still need a preamp, if I want to avoid the typical piezo sound.

5 minutes ago, Luis Martins said:

The best ones are the yamaha from the silent series of instruments, but are too expensive and difficult to get.

Cheaper SV Yamahas have ordinaryunder-the-bridge piezo, not ribon but bar. Ones more expensive have dual piezo concept, with the transducer embedded in the bridge. And all SV violins have a preamp.

5 minutes ago, franciscus said:

Un my experience, every piezo transducer needs a preamp, not for amplification, but for the impedance matching. I have appropriate amp (Crate Acoustic) with 1 MOhm input, but still need a preamp, if I want to avoid the typical piezo sound.

They do sound better with a modeling pre-amp! That's the "secret" behind the silent series from yamaha.

Haven't met a piezo that couldn't handle 10K resistor in parallel.... yet :)

3 minutes ago, Luis Martins said:

They do sound better with a modeling pre-amp! That's the "secret" behind the silent series from yamaha.

Haven't met a piezo that couldn't handle 10K resistor in parallel.... yet :)

I am not the fan of Yamaha's Silent Violins, you mentioned them. The "secret" behind all electric instruments is the impedance matching. One can put any resistor in  parallel with the piezo and get some sound, sometimes strong enough to send it to the amp, sometimes not, but it is no so important here. 

16 minutes ago, franciscus said:

In my experience, every piezo transducer needs a preamp, not for amplification, but for the impedance matching. I have appropriate amp (Crate Acoustic) with 1 MOhm input, but still need a preamp, if I want to avoid the typical piezo sound.

Violins are not RIAA compatible. :)  The mismatch won't sound that bad. 

3 minutes ago, carl stross said:

Violins are not RIAA compatible. :)  The mismatch won't sound that bad. 

OMG, how old are you? "RIAA compatible" remains me on the problems with MM phono cartridges. Seems that we are in the same league :D 

Great info.  Thanks.  But I still need to see some info on how the pickup is mounted and how the pick up, preamp and volume control and headset or amp jacks are all connected and installed in the body..  I know it's all simple if you know how.  Not so, if you don't. 

Edited by rgwebb6
1 hour ago, franciscus said:

With all due respect, electric guitars are very different beasts. Electric violin must not be too heavy, at first. The second thing could be the way of capturing the vibrations - there is just a few electric violins using magnets. Etc.

I was referring mostly to studying solid body construction. Like frets and the like. I know that magnetic pickups aren't ideal for this situation. 

6 minutes ago, franciscus said:

Yes, we are in the same league. I was born in the August, 1962. 

Do you remember the good times when almost everybody was older than us and THEY were doing the dying ? :)

Besides the fact now I am being constantly overtaken by idiots and imbeciles on the highway. :)

4 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

I was referring mostly to studying solid body construction. Like frets and the like. I know that magnetic pickups aren't ideal for this situation. 

Solid body, i think, is not the right way to construct the electric violin. maybe just the solid backbone and the other things from the lighter material, but just in their essential form, I do not like Yamaha's electric violin very much, but YEV series looks fantastic.

9 minutes ago, carl stross said:

Do you remember the good times when almost everybody was older than us and THEY were doing the dying ? :)

Besides the fact now I am being constantly overtaken by idiots and imbeciles on the highway. :)

Heh.

1962-aged-to-perfection-white-print-men-

So, getting back to the original topic B), does anyone have any ideas on where to find info on an in-bridge vs under-bridge piezo?  Or how under the bridge piezo is mounted?  Or what is electrically connected to what in an electric violin?  You are all concerned about age.  Well I'm 79 in June and don't have all that much time left to get the answers I'm looking for.  Just kidding, but I am really curious if there is any of this info out there.   

there is lots fo info out there on electric viiolins,  acoustic electric, solid body , semi hollow, with the electronics piezos work very well, with a 10m ohm inmput , like the fishman loudbox.  here is a link to a forum that has a lot of info.  I prefer the acoustic electric, unless you are just going to play heavy metal.  or really loud music, then feed back can be a problem http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?action=forum