Sign in to follow this  
Urban Luthier

Tonewood Auction from Hargrave Collection

T2 Auctions is hosting a special tonewoods sale, featuring over 600 lots of fine quality, seasoned maple and spruce for construction of violin, viola and cello. Well-stored, free of defects and kept in optimal conditions, this collection was acquired over the course of Hargrave's long and illustrious career. 

This sale will be hosted in conjunction with our Tarisio public viewing in London this June, where all lots will be available to view in person. For additional information, please email info@t2-auctions.com.

09417b3b-6601-434c-bfa6-7f0f4f3051d1.jpg

Catalog online May 24
Bidding opens May 30
Sale ends June 26

Viewable June 25-26 only! 
Westbury Hotel
New Bond & Conduit St
London W1S 2YF
Sunday, June 25: 10am–7pm 
Monday, June 26: 
9am–4pm

52 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

this collection useful for making and restoration

Rogers wood is more suitable for wanking at, rather than “useful for making and restoration”

11 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Rogers wood is more suitable for wanking at, rather than “useful for making and restoration”

I checked all my English dictionaries and now I am sure that all are wrong, at least regarding some words.

1 hour ago, franciscus said:

I checked all my English dictionaries and now I am sure that all are wrong, at least regarding some words.

My father also had loads of wood that were „to good to use“. He used to hide them at strategic spots around the workshop incase Glenn Colins came to visit, when he would ambush him, by wipping one after another out, and holding it under his nose, to watch him squirm. I think it is general knowledge that he was Rogers first ever vm teacher. Perhaps that gives you some context?:)

I happen to have a couple of pieces of wood from the 'Hargrave' Collection, which I occasionally bring out to impress my friends and influence my enemies. Unfortunately he ruined the wood by writing all over it. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it :).

IMG_20170519_151720751.jpg

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

Pant, pant.......

... and you'll hyperventilate when you see how much they sell for.

5 hours ago, franciscus said:

Maybe it's Stradivari's Secret!

12 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

My father also had loads of wood that were „to good to use“. He used to hide them at strategic spots around the workshop incase Glenn Colins came to visit, when he would ambush him, by wipping one after another out, and holding it under his nose, to watch him squirm. I think it is general knowledge that he was Rogers first ever vm teacher. Perhaps that gives you some context?:)

Of course - now I am certain that I caught the meaning correctly and that my dictionaries are still valid. I just was delighted by the picturesque and complete description in only one word :) Cheers, Franc

12 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Anyone know why he's selling?

Could just be cashing in his version of a 401k.  As long as he's not selling tools we can still hope he'll continue producing instruments.  Maybe he just wants a really awesome set of golf clubs. :lol:

Roger is about 70ish, and on a back-of-envelope calculation will have to live until he is about 2000 years old, to use all his wood up. Since he knows for a fact that, should he celebrate his 2000th birthday after all and run out of wood, he can always drop in and scrounge some wood from me.:)

14 hours ago, phutatorius said:

Maybe it's Stradivari's Secret!

Well, if it's not horse hockey and pee, then Jacob could be onto something.  Maybe it IS about horses, but the less-than-gold material from those that aren't good enough to stud racing phenoms.

All of us that are hovering around 70 have to come to the reality that we have more old investments in materials than we can possibly use in our "Golden Years". This is especially true if you don't have an offspring who wants to follow your lead. I'll bet some of these backs will buy an nice weekend getaway for Roger and the Wife.

Anybody want to buy some Rosewood? Pernambuco? Sitka spruce? 

24 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

All of us that are hovering around 70 have to come to the reality that we have more old investments in materials than we can possibly use in our "Golden Years". This is especially true if you don't have an offspring who wants to follow your lead. I'll bet some of these backs will buy an nice weekend getaway for Roger and the Wife.

Stop it! it's not nice to tease wood addicts.  Especially the ones without the money to buy it. :lol:

2 hours ago, MeyerFittings said:

I am only 67 and have no tone wood excess - I promise! I will be glad to be your surrogate offspring and follow your lead!

18 minutes ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

It's sad to know of Roger's passing but  at least we can console ourselves by buying a piece of wood that  he spent a lifetime not using

Did he "pass" ??? Very very sorry to hear that.