Maestronet Forums

Another Storioni

Televet

Probably most of you have already looked at this, but given the spirited bidding for the three Storioni's offered in London recently, this Storioni being offered by Tariso in New York looks interesting. The condition report is encouraging, even if it did start out life as a Viola. If anyone is going to the viewing I would be fascinated by your comments about how it sounds. Anybody here seen or handled it? Opinions?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Televet
to add images

Arnold Steinhardt (formerly 1st of the Guarneri Qt) wrote an excellent book called 'Violin Dreams' about his quest for the violin that would become his.

It's a Storioni that started life as a viola, and I don't think Steinhardt has parted with it yet.

Here's a story from his blog about his panicking occassionally when he's traveling without his Storioni.

http://keyofstrawberry.com/separation-anxiety/

3 hours ago, Herman West said:

Arnold Steinhardt (formerly 1st of the Guarneri Qt) wrote an excellent book called 'Violin Dreams' about his quest for the violin that would become his.

It's a Storioni that started life as a viola, and I don't think Steinhardt has parted with it yet.

Here's a story from his blog about his panicking occassionally when he's traveling without his Storioni.

http://keyofstrawberry.com/separation-anxiety/

That's it exactly!  I could not remember it for the life of me!  This one has got to be at leadt worth a try.  A Storioni violin that was not a conversion should be worth 5 or 10 times what this one seems to want to go for.

DLB

It has a rich, but somewhat muted sound...a warm, chamber music kind of instrument, imho.  I'm sure more can be gotten out of it.  It also feels a little big and clumsy in the hand, to me...  Still, a very compelling instrument!

Martin,

I am curious what you would have to say about this instrument from the perspective of a dealer in fine instruments. My interest is largely academic with the brutal exchange rate currently making cross border shopping eye wateringly expensive for Canadians. Does this kind of adaption usually reduce value by over 90% compared to a normal violin of comparable pedigree, or is the sample size too small to comment?

Certainly if I were able to shop in US dollars I might want to take a closer look at this as a rank amateur who knows nothing...

I think the sample size is too small to comment!

It's more usual to see a small viola turned into a bigger viola - if the job has been done well then the value can be doubled.

In the case of a small viola made into a violin, it would surely depend on the quality of work. I haven't seen this Storioni in the flesh, but it appears from the photos that the arching has been heavily bastardized and thinned down rather crudely from the outside. There are beautiful examples of re-sizing, it's a real artform, but this doesn't appear to be one of them!