Sign in to follow this  
JohnCockburn

packing tape?

I've often heard of US-based folks using what they call "packing tape" to pull off varnish during antiquing.

I've always assumed that the UK equivalent of this is what we call "parcel tape" but I've never been able to find any that adheres well enough to remove varnish.

Could anyone provide specific information on an effective type of tape?

Apologies in advance for the mundane question.

I have tried experiments using the wide clear tape (for boxes) to pull off varnish, but it only worked on the spruce, where some of the wood got ripped off too.

But I haven't used the "separation layer" of protein (glue, egg, casein) that I have heard is helpful in getting the color coats (but not the ground or wood) to lift off.

1 hour ago, JohnCockburn said:

I've often heard of US-based folks using what they call "packing tape" to pull off varnish during antiquing.

I've always assumed that the UK equivalent of this is what we call "parcel tape" but I've never been able to find any that adheres well enough to remove varnish.

Could anyone provide specific information on an effective type of tape?

Apologies in advance for the mundane question.

I think you have to recognise that parcel tape has a malign intelligence...it sticks like **** to the proverbial when you want it to release and vice versa.

John, i used to use that method occasionally  , i think i used this stuff, its stickier than the normal buff coloured tape used for parcels.

It only seems to be effective at certain stages of drying. best to test on scrap first with your varnish.

http://www.wilko.com/multi-purpose-diy-tape/wilko-diy-tape-50mm-x-10m-silver/invt/0437143

fiddlecollector

That is what we in the U.S. call duct (Duck) tape.  Depending on the quality, I would suspect, unless used carefully, it could stick too much.  Guerrilla tape is similar but would more likely stick too much.  But then I haven't tried such a thing. 

Highball