Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Perry Sultana...


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a few more photos once I decide which strings I like best.

So far I'm very happy with the tone and responsiveness. I did buy a new Coda Joule viola bow (67g). I feel like my Diamond GX violin bow (62g) is a bit lite for the short scale viola strings. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike!

I'm using the cane a lot these days when my knees act up.  Last time I was in the hospital one nurse really like it....turned out she played viola. Go figure...: )

I hope your project is moving along well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Sultana is now complete and so here are a few more photos...it has been strung up with a few different string combinations, both violin and viola. So far I like it with short viola strings best.

 

-To Conor and Colm...Thank you both very much...I thoroughly enjoyed building this fiddle.

 

 

004.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ribs are thinner. Plate thicknesses are respectable I think. Definitely not light but responsive with great dynamic range.  I'm very happy with it. Thank you Conor!!.....I hope you do too!

Now I need to find the right bow. I tried a Coda Joule viola bow (70.2) which made a huge difference but felt a little too heavy. Besides that the screw had a defect in it so I sent it back. I'm now waiting to try  a Joule violin bow (61.5). My Coda Diamond GX violin bow (62.0) is too light. But they say the joule bows are heavier in the top end of the bow.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great E!   The baroque bridge fits right in.  It seems to me that doing something different would make it that much easier to see what you are doing when working on something more familiar.  Not sure that made sense.  Made sense to me!  

Nice job,

Ken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Edward Byler said:

At least temporarily E, I put black super glue in the nut slot that is too wide and when dry reslot it. I need to order a new tube of fast drying black super glue that dries faster . It’s hard to find 

Thanks Edd, I never heard of fast drying black ca glue before...let me know where I can get it.

Maybe Stew Mac? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RedneckEngineer Fred said:

How about using regular super glue mixed with ebony sawdust?  

Maybe... I used a black commercial product mixed into epoxy to inlay the compass rose...and that worked very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...