lpr5184

Perry Sultana...

Both of these labels belong to the British & Irish "golden age" of copperplate engraving, as opposed to the Cremonese, which were primarily movable type labels.

George Bickham was the acknowledged high priest of the copperplate golden age.

img_8675.jpg

Conor, Thank you again for posting the older Perry label. It is a little tough to see the writing. If you had  another example it would be just too much!... I mean how many of these old Perry's do you have just laying around, LOL...:)

I'm sure Conor will post a photo of the Christ Churd Yard label when he has time...and I think he mentioned that is the one inside of Colm's sulatana. I know he's busy and I don't want to keep pestering him. I know I'm a long ways away from putting in any labels.

I can't remember if there's a date on it. But if the number on the button is 679 it should be about 1780, which means it would have had an early Anglesea Street label, but I think it may be missing.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Thomas Coleman said:

Ach!  Addie did indeed do a nice job on the label although I have to admit I was SO hoping for a neckset! 

Sorry no neckset yet...fall has been busier than expected.

005.JPG

008.JPG

Thanks... It feels like a journey at times and I'm just tagging along trying to find my way. But for me that's the fun part of building something new, ... akin to driving down a road that you've never been on and seeing things you've never seen before. The first time I saw a Sultana, I didn't know what it was but knew it was a road I wanted to go down. I was fortunate to have Conor provide a road map before setting off.

I expect the back arching when complete will finish to 18.5 mm.  I have added more recurve and a deeper scoop and blended the outer edges of the arch more than the original template tracings...all in the attempt to make the plate more flexible...since the instrument will now have only 5 strings instead it's original design.  

Next up I'll have to make a new carving cradle in order to hold and hollow out the plates.

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

It seems from the  lack of response to this thread that many may not be as interested in this instrument as I am.  But I'll continue the thread for those who helped me (mostly Conor) and expressed interest.  I'll try and keep the posts coming often as possible but some family illness issues have recently arrived so my apologies for any lapsed posts from here out.

Happy Holidays

E

1 hour ago, lpr5184 said:

It seems from the  lack of response to this thread that many may not be as interested in this instrument as I am.  But I'll continue the thread for those who helped me (mostly Conor) and expressed interest.  I'll try and keep the posts coming often as possible but some family illness issues have recently arrived so my apologies for any lapsed posts from here out.

Happy Holidays

E

Happy Holidays to you and yours E!  Don't think of lack of responses as lack of interest.  Think of it as respecting the thread and not taking it down stray rabbit trails, or in my case lack of anything intelligent to contribute. :)    

-Jim