lpr5184

Perry Sultana...

Bending and gluing the lower bout ribs to the form was a breeze.

001.JPG.f237e652055f2652b2682e3c03be0399.JPG

I decided to make a counter form to glue the upper ribs.

This is another use for the half template...just trace, cut and sand back to line on the spindle sander.

003.JPG.e12739c2e3969dfbdd10e3c3e0b113e8.JPG

006.JPG.a8aeeb162bade5cafa8059f7368d7ec7.JPG

007.JPG

Great idea E.  I use a half template all the time, and never thought of that.  It would  be much easier to position and clamp.  One of these days I may approach your neatness.  No, not likely.

I've always been a hand tool guy, but now I have a band saw; and that spindle sander looks much easier, and gives a truer surface than gouges or files.

Great fun to watch you in action.  You are probably having more fun.

Ken

Thanks Ken

I'll also use the counter form when gluing in the upper linings to help keep the shape intact.

Well...FWIW I use the spindle sander a lot because of the reasons you stated plus it's fast...but that's just me. I'm sure hand tools work just as well...

I'm having a lot of fun cuz it's different than making just another fiddle....:ph34r: Glad you are too...:)

I tested gluing in one lining and using the counter form really helps hold the shape of the upper ribs.

For those interested, the original ribs are 1.4mm thick. I made these ribs a bit thinner averaging about 1.2mm.

002.JPG.110f1f3425d1dc6cdd2bba55272934dc.JPG003.JPG.5681beef915c2071749fa44561a630b7.JPG

Waiting for the lower bout linings to dry... Now just the c bout linings left and the garland will be finished.

A tip I seen on Rogers bass thread was to mask the ribs to prevent any glue from getting on the outside of the ribs, causing glue ghosts.

002.JPG.402ac4d785234b560451eefa1ec9426d.JPG

003.JPG.df726385bfe63a59dce1bd6077cb4204.JPG

Very clean work!!

Here are some lining clamps I recently made based on an Italian design   https://www.liuteriashop.com/en/tools/lining-clamp-for-violin-viola

I used 6 - 32 x 1" cap head screws instead of the hex head metric m4 x 25 mm.   I bought some 3/4" aluminum U channel and cut the aluminum into ~ 1/4 in strips and tapped them using  6-32 tap-bit.  I also found that using a plastic insert makes it very easy to use without worrying about damaging the outside.

Another advantage is that I can do both sides at the same time.

IMG_0634[1].JPG

Nice clamps John... I haven't tried this style but I have experimented with few other kinds. I still come back to plain clothespins. The only thing I don't like about clothespins is the need to replace the rubber bands.

Garland is finished...now it's time to put the metal to the wood...

As mentioned earlier the blocks are from an old Sitka tree. It must have been a huge old growth because I have never seen growth rings this tight. They are practically invisible to the naked eye.

Thanks again to Bruce Harvie of Orcas Island Tonewoods for the spruce.

004.JPG.da90d20bb7d11734217f738d728d9043.JPG001.JPG.722948a3a6a099bc6ac0d5b4ea6d3f83.JPG

-Forgot to mention the linings are willow.

Today was one of those days that I should have been mowing the lawn and rototilling the garden...but shop conditions were perfect for joining and gluing the back plate...just a perfect autumn day.

015.JPG.a37006736880be80355247c3b704081c.JPG

I'm skipping the planing of the joint and going straight to joining up of the two halves....This simple jig is what I use to glue up plates.

So far no joint failures but preparing a perfect joint is the key.

003.JPG.67b9cc78e0fe10124710303c9f2c0486.JPG

004.JPG.0fef3b0ffc605c8d972026f5b1577a42.JPG006.JPG.3e85d0abfed3bf2f86135ff13cf6b76c.JPG

Are the holes in the corner of the halves for some type of shooting board registration?  Do you have a photo of that clamping cradle underneath the plates?  That's a good idea.  I see what appears to be a glue free channel routed down the middle of it.  What mountain is that!?  Beautiful!  I love mountains.

The holes in the wood came from Old Standard Wood that way and your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they hang it in the processing chamber...

The mountain is Mt Baker in the Cascade mountains of Washington state. It's snow covered all year long and has some great skiing.

Thomas the clamping fixture is made from three pieces of plywood. And yes it has a gap in the middle to let the glue squeeze out. It's basically just a flat surface. The bottom of the wedge halves are flattened before gluing and then clamped down to the fixture.

10 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

Looking good Ernie.

I don't know how you drink that stuff!

I like to drink mine icey cold in a pint glass!....:)