Maestronet Forums

Perry Sultana...

For my next instrument I have the privilege of building a copy of Colm Mac Con Iomaire's fiddle. I have permission from Colm and plans from Conor Russell who knows this instrument well. I would like to Thank Conor and Colm for their generosity of allowing me access to this instrument. I will continue this thread once I start.  Probably will not be until late summer or early fall of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7z20kvE2g

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these started life with ten strings. Therefore one  in the University of Michigan  School of music that was made with  six. Colm's  now has five, it's head having been replaced with one from a viola.

I think the strings  were set out like those of an English  guitar, in double courses. Perry made several guitars too. I can't  imagine that  gut strings would have  worked, as they'd  have been too close and rattled together. 

15 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

For my next instrument I have the privilege of building a copy of Colm Mac Con Iomaire's fiddle. I have permission from Colm and plans from Conor Russell who knows this instrument well. I would like to Thank Conor and Colm for their generosity of allowing me access to this instrument. I will continue this thread once I start.  Probably will not be until late summer or early fall of this year.

Here are a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSo6yXG7tAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1mPeXF9H6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETiN4sJhUc

best of luck to you .it would be interesting and hope to see the process along progress. 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, rossini said:

best of luck to you .it would be interesting and hope to see the process along progress. 

Thanks Rossini, I'm looking forward to building this very much and I hope to have a new camera by then.

• 1 month later...

When re sawing a billet today for the back and ribs I found this. Not quite sure yet if I will be able to use it. The worm holes penetrate about half way though each side. Also uncertain if it will carve away. Should I be worried about infestation?  I do like this piece of maple and would like to use it.  Red maple harvested in Michigan 2008.

...The pattern looks like the fholes.... maybe it's a sign....

002.JPG.f596c4fd89e1032d6c10d94b8bb42c72.JPG001.JPG.575608a4a9de4b7589b75ef783d10008.JPG

8 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

When re sawing a billet today for the back and ribs I found this. Not quite sure yet if I will be able to use it. The worm holes penetrate about half way though each side. Also uncertain if it will carve away. Should I be worried about infestation?  I do like this piece of maple and would like to use it.  Red maple harvested in Michigan 2008.

...The pattern looks like the flame fholes.... maybe it's a sign....

As I understand it, the "worm" holes are the exit holes from beetle larvae.  If there have been no new holes in a year the wood should be clear.  I'm surprised the holes don't go all the way through at least on one half.  Also interesting that the holes are along the stained wood.  Is that an indication that the stained wood is softer?  Possibly if the larvae bore through the wood while the tree was living the stains are a result of the beetles, i.e., fungal stain carried by the beetle.  Just thoughts.

If you treat the holes like drill holes could you just plug them?  Being in the stain track may make it easier to blend the repair in.

BTW, it's a cool pattern.

-Jim

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

As I understand it, the "worm" holes are the exit holes from beetle larvae.  If there have been no new holes in a year the wood should be clear.  I'm surprised the holes don't go all the way through at least on one half.  Also interesting that the holes are along the stained wood.  Is that an indication that the stained wood is softer?  Possibly if the larvae bore through the wood while the tree was living the stains are a result of the beetles, i.e., fungal stain carried by the beetle.  Just thoughts.

If you treat the holes like drill holes could you just plug them?  Being in the stain track may make it easier to blend the repair in.

BTW, it's a cool pattern.

-Jim

I had the same thought...there are no exit holes. The dark streaks are not soft and it does not look like spalting/fungus. It actually looks like it has some graining.  It's not a pitch pocket. Definitely interesting.

I found two holes that look like exit holes at the same dimension on the opposite side. The thing is,  the holes have healed over so I think Jim may be right about the worm being in the wood while the tree was alive and when exiting the hole grew shut and closed. I don't know what would cause the dark streaks.

003.JPG.7bcdc876520a4ed28831b5068c5cb28d.JPG002.JPG.c95ffa729f07f2ae060d6d6467e9c144.JPG

004.JPG.38b4950cf39e37b9e5c74ab709bd10b9.JPG001.JPG.e15361ac3d7d11fb1afadbc044a0e4d7.JPG